Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, I made a Boo Boo

tag
Remedios
Credit Mentor

So, I made a Boo Boo

I sent money to a family member (one I dont even like) using Western Union
After weeks of non sleeping, I grabbed a debit card and paid.
Except it wasn't a debit card 😐
Apparently I used Freedom (stupid blue cards)

Anyway, card had $0.00 balance, I'm aware it's a subject to $10.00 fee (because the amount), cash advance apr and quite possibly FTF.
That's all fine, I thought I had cash advance removed from it, obviously not...(it is now)

If course I will pay that stupid charge the moment it posts, so my question is, how long should I not use it after it's paid
Card itself is still in 0% promo

I'm not itching to use it, still in a process of buying 🧦 bank love, but in addition to feeling stupid, I'd rather pay interest to Credit One than Chase. We're frenemies

Before anyone asks why I had debit card with me..I have no clue . It wasn't and now it is.
I'll blame that on lack of sleep, too.

🤷‍♀️
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: So, I made a Boo Boo

I'm also aware I'm in running for Darwin's Credit Award...😒
Message 2 of 30
tcbofade
Super Contributor

These things happen.  I'm glad that you have the ABILITY to pay it the moment that it posts.  No harm, no foul.

You're having a rough week.

Time for some sleep?

EDIT:  I wouldn't use it until after you've paid the balance and the next statement cuts... but that's just me.  

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 3 of 30
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's a puzzle. It's going to post with a balance, even if you pay off, because interest. I would call them and see how to get grace period back. I'm pretty sure a statement has to post zero balance to get it back.

Message 4 of 30
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

So sorry.....but I bought a corvette by accident, go figure, it happens to the best of us......going to sleep now......

Message 5 of 30
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Hmmm this is tricky.  You don't really have a lost grace period on new purchases because new purchases are in a 0% APR promotional period.  (I mean you can lose your grace period if the card is not paid in full after the next statement's due date, but even then it would be subject to your purchase APR of 0.00%) The only interest you're going to accrue is between the charge posting and that balance being paid.  There might be some tiny trailing interest of just pennies on your next statement if you pay it as soon as it posts, but anything above your minimum payment has to be applied by law to the balance with the highest APR, so as long as you pay minimum + any interest or remaining cash advance balance, you're fine to use the card for new Chase Pay, PayPal, and whatever the other one is this quarter.  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 30
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Thanks 

Kids broke it down for me and explained that I actually took Freedom out of safe thinking it was debit card, so whatever me.

Money wise, non issue, it was only a $100.00 transfer, lesson learned etc 

Feeling this stupid...I cannot put a price on that

Next time someone asks why I dont Amex, I'll just send them link to this thread. 

Message 7 of 30
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex would have either coded it as business services and not cared or given you FR and axed your Welcome Offer.

Message 8 of 30
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

Feeling this stupid...I cannot put a price on that

After reading this thread, by chance I checked my Chase accounts, and found that I had, for some reason, used my $5.50 of Chase Amazon rewards as statement credit rather than doing ACH (as I have every other time).    Not a really expensive mistake, but that stupid feeling...

Message 9 of 30
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

@Remedios wrote:
Apparently I used Freedom (stupid blue cards)

Before anyone asks why I had debit card with me..I have no clue . It wasn't and now it is.
I'll blame that on lack of sleep, too.

🤷‍♀️

First of all, I have nothing helpful to add that hasn't been said. 

But, I'm just glad you swapped the blame to sleep. 

How dare you blame blue cards. Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.