Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soft pull cc?

tag
Rein
Regular Contributor

Soft pull cc?

Bill me later, do they do a soft or hard pull? Does anyone know any credit card companies that do soft pull. my scores are low and have too many inquiries. Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

Re: Soft pull cc?

Ive heard that BillMeLater doesnt report to Credit bureaus.. SO i dont think it would actually pull your credit report.

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 2 of 8
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Capital One will do a soft pull to offer a match to your, then a hard pull to process the application.  At least in that manner you can decide before you hit the accept button.

Many of the soft pull companies only do it if they have already prescreened your report already or if you already have an account with them.  There are very few exceptions to this. 

I got a soft pull for my Marathon Visa card, but I was already a Comenity customer with a Bealls and a Marathon Gas card.  Some people have mentioned that GE and Comenity do soft pulls on the websites for the store cards they issue.  I think most of them have already been prescreened or are already customers.  As it doesn't happen to everyone on the website they must have a way of determining who to offer it too!  Some of the stores that have been mentioned are Gap, Victoria's Secret, and only online at the checkout. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 8
Rein
Regular Contributor

Thanks! i have capital one maybe I will call them to see if I qualify for their rewards card. 

Message 4 of 8
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Rein wrote:

Thanks! i have capital one maybe I will call them to see if I qualify for their rewards card. 

Go online.  If you call them they will most likely say no.  How long have you been with them?  If it has been for a while, say two years, you might want to try the EO method that many have been doing to get resolution.  In the past, at the two year mark, I asked them to convert my regular card to a rewards card.  They said NO.  I asked for a CLI, they said NO.  I asked them to waive the AF, they said NO.  I closed the card.  For my rewards card, after the two year mark I asked for them to remove my AF, they said NO, but we can waive it this year.  (I asked them 3 times to remove it, three times they said no, but we can waive it.  I didn't mention that had already been done!)  I asked for a CLI with that card too, they said NO.  Actually they said no we keep your limit up to date.  I went online to the BBB and filed a complaint.  Then they raised it and removed the AF.  (I see what they meant by to date, up to the date you file a complaint with a consumer agency!) 

If I were you I would try the online process first, if you get the rewards card then use the executive office path if you have been with them a while.  Send them an email with the last four digits of your account number, so they know which account you are speaking of.  Then ask them to upgrade the account and give it a CLI.  When I spoke with the rep there I did not as for the AF to be removed, they offered that on their own.  Maybe they read the notes, but most people who have gone that route get it also.  After they speak with you about the first account, then ask them to also remove the AF on the second one.  Or alternately, just use the BBB or EO in the first place.

Good Luck.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 5 of 8
Rein
Regular Contributor

Thanks for that great info. I've been with cap1 for over 2 years. Asked a few times for a cli and also got a big NO. I'm going to try your method. I will be happy with just an increase. But what I really need is another positive TL. 

Message 6 of 8
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Bill Me Later was a hard pull for me on EQ to open a account. Credit increases are always soft pulls. They don't report to any of the agencies so if your looking for someone that reports you'll have to look elsewhere. i enjoy my account because of the fact it is hidden.

Message 7 of 8
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Bill me later gave me a sp initally in a preapproval but when I accepted, they hard pulled. You can try some of the Commenity websites, they will sp you at the checkout. I got a sp approval with them for Victoria Secret and Brylane Home.

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.