Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Store Cards

tag
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Store Cards

And people say store cards are a waste of time. Smiley Very Happy I've probably only spent about $700 on this card, ever. What's the best deal you've gotten with a store card?

PhotoGrid_1541470554013.jpg

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Store Cards

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

And people say store cards are a waste of time. Smiley Very Happy I've probably only spent about $700 on this card, ever. What's the best deal you've gotten with a store card?

The Kohl's card discounts seem too complicated for me.  But I did get a dinning room set from Pottery Barn that was 50 percent off and then I used the 20 percent off coupon for opening an account on top of that and also got 0 percent interest for 12 months. Got that with my scores in the low 500's so it wasn't like I had many options on better cards. 

Message 2 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

The Kohl's card discounts seem too complicated for me.  But I did get a dinning room set from Pottery Barn that was 50 percent off and then I used the 20 percent off coupon for opening an account on top of that and also got 0 percent interest for 12 months. Got that with my scores in the low 500's so it wasn't like I had many options on better cards. 

Yeah, I don't really get the yes2you, or I should say, I never cared to look into it. All I know is I logged in and saw $30 of those rewards and $30 Kohl's cash from a recent visit. Added the current sale and got some Levi's for free along with a couple shirts and something for my wife.

Should also mention that sometimes better cards don't give better deals. Bought some raybans from Kohl's and it was cheaper than if I used the amex offer for $50 back on $200. Plus, I got the $30 Kohl's cash that I used on this deal.

Message 3 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Beware of illusory savings. Easy discounts often mean the goods were initially intentionally overpriced.

I prefer a mix of Costco and price protection.

The one store card I had was Brooks Brothers, but there were really very few cardholder-only promotions. Most were open to everyone.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

i love kohls

Message 5 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Beware of illusory savings. Easy discounts often mean the goods were initially intentionally overpriced.

The one store card I had was Brooks Brothers, but there were really very few cardholder-only promotions. Most were open to everyone.

And in fact wasn't Kohl's sued over this at one point? They were advertising "70% off", for example, but the item was never sold or going to be sold at the so called "original" price. It was just to make it look like a deal.

The Kohl's charge looks like a good deal for the right person and I'm not discrediting that, but I have found sometimes they don't have the best deals. I enjoy Kohl's and have gotten some nice items there, but not necessarily the least expensive.

Message 6 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

I only buy resale price maintained items from them like Levi's and Converse. That being said, they're not Fingerhut.

Message 7 of 22
FlaDude
Established Contributor

It seems no matter how much my wife "saves" using the various Kohls discounts, we still seem to have trouble getting out of debt.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 8 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

And in fact wasn't Kohl's sued over this at one point? They were advertising "70% off", for example, but the item was never sold or going to be sold at the so called "original" price. It was just to make it look like a deal.

The Kohl's charge looks like a good deal for the right person and I'm not discrediting that, but I have found sometimes they don't have the best deals. I enjoy Kohl's and have gotten some nice items there, but not necessarily the least expensive.

It was Kohl's, JC Penney, Sears, and Macy's. The case was they never sold something for the msrp, that they always sold it at the sale price. Is it misleading? Yeah, but who complains about paying less than msrp? If I found some place that always sold below msrp, I wouldn't care what they're advertising, I would just capitalize on it.

And the point of the thread is that store cards are not always worthless like they're made out to be on this forum. Between the sale prices and the rewards, I saved over $100 for less than $700 total spend on the card. Thats an almost 15% return, not including the other discounts I've received in the past. I'm sure there are other store cards that can do just as well.

Message 9 of 22
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@FlaDude wrote:

It seems no matter how much my wife "saves" using the various Kohls discounts, we still seem to have trouble getting out of debt.

The problem is you only get like a week to use the discounts or you lose them. This was just really good timing. I had just spent $150 and my yes2you rewards happened to show up at the same time as the sale starting. A Kohl's trifecta. Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.