Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange message from Amex

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Strange message from Amex

Since POT is relatively new, and if you have more than one going, it's not unusual for glitches to appear. I would get screenshots where it says no payment is due, and a current date of the screen. I would also get a second opinion by talking with another CSR and hopefully you get the same answer. In case there's an issue, you have a screen shot,  or several over time that says no payment was due.

Message 21 of 53
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

I dont think it's an error. I've seen posts by other people who got this same email, and some even got a call to pay down their balance if they wanted to continue using card, even though payment wasnt due yet

They were nowhere near what Amex would allow them to charge and never late with them, so no clue what triggers it. 

I think Addie was the last one to post about this, maybe 10 days ago. 

Yes but in the recent post the email specified specific transactions and balances, mine had nothing of that sort.

Theirs was the same. I think it's just a template letter when they want money.

Hopefully it's an error and they are not trying to squeeze payment when one is not due, but if you're having increased utilization across other cards, they might be twitching.

You have EX subscription, check for increase in SPs

I'm not aware of how to find SP's on experian.com

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 22 of 53
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps they are having liquidity problems like was suggested in another thread. Smiley LOL

Unless you've done something totally out of the norm that has shown up on their most recent SP, then It probably was just a glitch. 

The $35K POT should allow you more leeway than those who were hovering around the $5K POT mark. 

Though I don't know how much you put through the Gold monthly, I doubt Amex would get too nervous over a few K's.

I don't put much through it.

Message 23 of 53
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:
They would get very nervous because they do not "look" only at their cards.
If cards from other lenders show spike in utilization, they will twitch. Also, keep in mind that they are probably not looking at percentages only, but also at raw amounts and speed at which balances are going up/down.
I'm not privy to what's on SJs CR, but I would bet half the turkey they are doing SPs like they have nothing better to do.

Guilty as charged Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 53
NRB525
Super Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps they are having liquidity problems like was suggested in another thread. Smiley LOL

Unless you've done something totally out of the norm that has shown up on their most recent SP, then It probably was just a glitch. 

The $35K POT should allow you more leeway than those who were hovering around the $5K POT mark. 

Though I don't know how much you put through the Gold monthly, I doubt Amex would get too nervous over a few K's.

I don't put much through it.

Then I would suggest calling them to ask what is your regular spend limit on the Gold. If you haven't put much through it, their automatic algorithms may have a limit as low as $1,000, based on the pattern of past months.

The PoT limit is nice to look at but really doesn't mean anything, it isn't anything like a Revolver credit limit.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 25 of 53
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I got one of these emails as well. 

I was super concerned as this has been a super heavy month for my RA business. I've spent far north of  100K this month on cards. I've been using the platinum for everything as it's the only card I have that currently has available credit. 

but this was when my balances where Relatively low and I was worried because it's a big month for me. 

I called and they told me it was a glitch. I was so happy. I thought Amex was complaining about the insane amount of charges. 

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 26 of 53
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Just got this weird message from Amex on my gold card:

"We recently approved a transaction on your account. However, it is important that you make a payment on your account soon to continue to enjoy uninterrupted use of your Card."

There's no explanation of what they're talking about or what transaction they are referring to.

There have been no unusual transactions.

I don't have any payment due.

The current balance is modest in proportion to my 'pay over time' balance.

I asked on Chat, and was informed by the representative that it was sent by mistake.

But I wonder.

I used to get this message whenever I was close to my internal limit on my gold card with Amex. I recently put the card in the SD, because I got annoyed with getting the messages. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 27 of 53
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I dont think it's an error. I've seen posts by other people who got this same email, and some even got a call to pay down their balance if they wanted to continue using card, even though payment wasnt due yet

They were nowhere near what Amex would allow them to charge and never late with them, so no clue what triggers it. 

I think Addie was the last one to post about this, maybe 10 days ago. 

+1 Yup. I still have the balance pending on the card, and I'm not paying it until the due date. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 28 of 53
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:
They would get very nervous because they do not "look" only at their cards.
If cards from other lenders show spike in utilization, they will twitch. Also, keep in mind that they are probably not looking at percentages only, but also at raw amounts and speed at which balances are going up/down.
I'm not privy to what's on SJs CR, but I would bet half the turkey they are doing SPs like they have nothing better to do.

Bottom line, I'm going to work on the assumption that Amex's algorithms are starting to rebel against me, and no longer have the confidence that I am as golden as I know myself to be Smiley Happy

So my course of action will be to start reducing my exposure to them and their exposure to me, despite the countless new offers they send me on a daily basis, and ignore distractions such as rewards and promotional interest rates and the like.

I'm just going to start cutting them way down, before they start cutting me way down.

Message 29 of 53
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I don't know that I would rush to start cutting my exposure with them.  Since the POT was just added to your account, I'm assuming that it's relatively new?  As long as someone has clean reports (this is often the main factor for payment demands on charge cards to continue spending) and has enough history with Amex for them to be comfortable in your ability to repay them, they're not going to start chopping limits and they can be quite liberal with what they're willing to extend you.

It's very true that a lot of people will likely be cut off before hitting the $35,000 caps on POT limits, but in my experience I did carry over $50k in POT balances between two cards for years (while not ideal, my APRs on those were like 13-14% and not the 20+% I see a lot of people with these days) and American Express never batted an eye because payments were made on time every time and I also used them for 90+% of my spend.

Message 30 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.