Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stupid move on my part. Autopay!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Stupid move on my part. Autopay!

I solve this by having all of my autopays come out of a rewards checking account in which I keep a $20k balance.  Now if *that* gets overdrawn, I've got much bigger problems.

Honestly, in 10 years of having all of my card issuers do an ACH pull of the statement balance on the due date (and I currently have 45 cards), I have never had a single instance of an issuer not processing the payment or charging too little, and I've never heard of anyone else having that problem, unless because of circumstances outside of the issuer's control (insufficient balance, incorrect routing/account info, etc.).  I have had cards overpaid several times.  This is largely because some issuers will recalculate the payment amount on the due date and only pay the balance down to 0, while others will pay whatever the statement balance was, regardless if that results in a credit balance.  If I do end up with a credit balance, then I just either spend it down or request a check for the credit balance from the issuer.  If it's a large amount, I may want to backfill my checking account with some money from savings to maintain my checking balance at $20k.  But that's about the worst of it.

Chris.

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.