cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Successful USAA MC CLI and Amex Approval.

tag
Amnesia87
Contributor

Re: Successful USAA MC CLI and Amex Approval.

@Anonymous wrote:

@Amnesia87 wrote:

I'd guess it could be related to people abusing it...

Apping for a CLI on 1 card, getting approved, then knowing USAA uses 1 inq, apping the other card, getting approved and then as soon as possible realocating as much of the balance as possible to the original card, closing the new one, and repeating.

I'm sure some have tried it...

Only reason I would consider it was to get the MC World and because it's my oldest card, and my second lowest limit, but I can wait another year or so... especially after reviewing the differences between the MC World and the Amex and seeing the Amex is the better card anyway, combine that with the low apr and it's a no brainer.

I've never had problems with AmEx, but if you are in the military and stationed overseas it would be a huge mistake to rely exclusively on AmEx.

I'm not Military, I'm a full USAA member through my grandparents. I'd like to live in Europe at some point, but that's not really a major issue for now.

Also it's not the actual Amex, this one is a USAA one, but I do have Blue Cash Preferred and Gold Preferred as well (never had an issue with them being accepted), but they are far from my only cards. Honestly I'd say my Primary card is my Citi Forward, and will continue to to be for a long while unless they decide to pull a fast one and lower the rewards rates as rumored. Other than that I still have my PSECU Visa and my USAA MC, but I'm not super worried.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 14
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I've never had problems with AmEx, but if you are in the military and stationed overseas it would be a huge mistake to rely exclusively on AmEx.

Plus Amex's foreign transaction for most of their cards is 4%. Egads!

Message 12 of 14
Amnesia87
Contributor

I believe my Amex cards are 2.7%, but yes, the 1% on my new USAA Amex is lower (didn't even realize that until right now when you said it ^_^.

I don't know what the foreign transaction fees are on most of my cards are >_<, I suppose I probably should. Fairly certain they all have one though, I don't have any travel centric cards. (The only other one I know is PSECU which is also 1%)

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barbaralee wrote:

Plus Amex's foreign transaction for most of their cards is 4%. Egads!

That's why I only like USAA AmEx.  Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.