Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching up with Synchrony

tag
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

Switching up with Synchrony

I've been reading that 5 is the magic number of Synchrony cards alloted before they cut you off.  I have one card that I don't use much (Old Navy) which I'd glady get rid of if I could get Care Credit instead.  I'm not sure if this is an option or if I'd just be screwing myself up by closing one and apping for the other.  Wondering if anyone could share any similar experiences with me.  I'm not looking to make the change until maybe June but I want to be somewhat prepared for how or if I should proceed in doing so.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Switching up with Synchrony

@redE2move wrote:

I've been reading that 5 is the magic number of Synchrony cards alloted before they cut you off.  I have one card that I don't use much (Old Navy) which I'd glady get rid of if I could get Care Credit instead.  I'm not sure if this is an option or if I'd just be screwing myself up by closing one and apping for the other.  Wondering if anyone could share any similar experiences with me.  I'm not looking to make the change until maybe June but I want to be somewhat prepared for how or if I should proceed in doing so.

Synchrony can be a bit unpredictable, but there's no set number that they consider 'too many'; while not advisable some have reported having a dozen or more with no problems, and others with only one or two have received the infamous 'blue envelope'. 

Five is not a hard-cutoff, but you're wise to limit your exposure with them to only the cards you really need.

Message 2 of 6
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@redE2move wrote:

I don't think Synchrony is the problem, nor is 5 of their cards the magic number.  I think the problem lies within these boards and the constituents within always encouraging others  with Synchrony cards to call credit solutions and ask for $20-25k limits per card.  Those seem to be the ones they are shutting down, from what I've seen anyways.

I've never received any AA from Synch and I have more than 5 cards, 10 to be exact!

Ebates Visa Sig  10k

Sam's Club MC   10k

Walmart MC          8k

eBay MC               8k

CheapOair Visa     8k

Marvel MC             7k

BP Visa                  6k

Amazon                 6k

Banana Rep Visa  1.5k

Sunglass Hut        1k

Slow and steady wins the race, no need to sprint Smiley Very Happy

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 3 of 6
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

I have 13 Synch cards and no AA. Yet. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 4 of 6
redE2move
Frequent Contributor

Fed hope you don't mind me asking but in what time frame did you accrue the 10 Sych cards?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fedxboy wrote:

@redE2move wrote:

I don't think Synchrony is the problem, nor is 5 of their cards the magic number.  I think the problem lies within these boards and the constituents within always encouraging others  with Synchrony cards to call credit solutions and ask for $20-25k limits per card.  Those seem to be the ones they are shutting down, from what I've seen anyways.

I've never received any AA from Synch and I have more than 5 cards, 10 to be exact!

Ebates Visa Sig  10k

Sam's Club MC   10k

Walmart MC          8k

eBay MC               8k

CheapOair Visa     8k

Marvel MC             7k

BP Visa                  6k

Amazon                 6k

Banana Rep Visa  1.5k

Sunglass Hut        1k

Slow and steady wins the race, no need to sprint Smiley Very Happy

I have to agree here...I was advised in a different thread when I was discussing how I should grow/manage my various cards to ask for a big CLI on my Amazon Store Card, which is the only Synchrony card I have and was issued last year with a $800 line (the figure suggested was $10k but I got cold feet and asked for $6k instead), but I got turned down flat and have been fretting ever since about the possibility of a "blue envelope" though I think (crossed fingers!) it's not too likely...I'm not asking for any more CLI's on Synchrony or any other cards until at least a few more months have passed and my accounts have had time to grow and age; I have a credit steps increase (from $3k to $3,500) coming on my Cap One unsecured MC by fall and I'm going to be content with that (at least at this time unless I get a really good reason to ask for a CLI!)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.