Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony Question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony Question?

hi all, just a general question. If I stop paying on some of my synchrony accounts but continue to pay on others, will they close them all regardless? Also if I have accounts with zero balance will they close them?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Synchrony Question?

if you stop using a card for a while they can cancel it, so if you want to keep it you should use it every few months at least once.

Message 2 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Why would you stop paying on some and not others. Did you get yourself in a pickle?

Message 3 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

if you stop using a card for a while they can cancel it, so if you want to keep it you should use it every few months at least once.

They said stop paying not using. Ooops! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony is one of the quickest to take AA when something happens. If they don't close your accounts, they'll slash your limits to nothing. If you can avoid it, don't let any of them fall behind. Synchrony is one of the banks that isn't really known for giving goodwill deletions later and plenty of members have found themselves stuck with a Synchrony charge off long after they got the collection agency to agree to a pay for delete. 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am one of those who found out years ago that Synch can get mean really quickly if you have payment issues. Definitely do not stop paying. Pay minimums if you have to but do not miss a payment or pay less than required. It’ll turn ugly very quickly.
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

lol oops. people ask the craziest things here. i didn't think he's deliberately planning to do a chargeoff. hopefully he can avoid it, that's a bad road to go down.

Message 7 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

hi all, just a general question. If I stop paying on some of my synchrony accounts but continue to pay on others, will they close them all regardless? Also if I have accounts with zero balance will they close them?

The simple answer to your questions is yes. The worse thing you can do is stop making payments on your CCs. Also, if you miss just one payment, the astronomical penalty interest rate can and will go into effect. Also, please understand that once you stop making payments on one lender's card, other lenders can and will take AA on their cards too. They will note your behavior during a SP. 

I suggest making at least the minimum payment on all your cards. If this has become difficult, notify your CCCs and see if there are alternative payment arrangements you can make. 

I'm glad you asked before hand. So please don't destroy you credit or have CCs shut down because you stopped making payments. 

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 17
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

lol oops. people ask the craziest things here. i didn't think he's deliberately planning to do a chargeoff. hopefully he can avoid it, that's a bad road to go down.

And that is why myFICO is here--to answer questions that people don't have answers to.  And myFICO's motto is (well my motto atleast)--no question is a crazy question. How else would one know the answer if he/she is afraid to ask the question? It's akin to the child who never raises his hand in class for fear other students will think his question silly. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate that CreditInspired. I have gotten to the point where evening paying min. has become difficult. I was also taking bankruptcy but I know that comes with its own disadvantages. I have heard synchrony has a hardship program. Has anyone done it or have any info on it?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.