Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TD Bank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

TD Bank

Samsung uses TD Bank. Is it like webbank in being a subprime lender?
7 REPLIES 7
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

Re: TD Bank

If I recall correctly, TD Bank is the American version of the Canadian TD Bank. 

They do have some prime credit products, but they also service some store cards. They have serviced Target cards for as long as I’ve had one (since 2012). 

Message 2 of 8
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

They're a "good" bank — comparable to Chase, Bank of America, and others who offer a full range of services and have brick and mortar locations.

They have a line of TD-branded credit cards. As mentioned, they back the Target cards. And they also back Nordstrom's cards.

There's nothing subprime about them.

Message 3 of 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@iheartwings wrote:

If I recall correctly, TD Bank is the American version of the Canadian TD Bank. 

They do have some prime credit products, but they also service some store cards. They have serviced Target cards for as long as I’ve had one (since 2012). 

You recall correctly, they're the US subsidiary of Toronto-Dominion Bank.

Their core credit card offerings are competitive but aren't stellar, they manually review apps, are inquiry sensitive, and they do not recon.  Their personal cards do have decent SUBs.

I tried them as a primary bank for about 2 years but switched back to BoA because I needed a bank with a larger physical US footprint.  IMO they have 3 things going for them:

Their Zelle implementation is probably the best and most convenient I've come across.

Their branches have extended hours, including on Sundays.

If you're a Canadian that spends a lot of time in the US, or an American that spends a lot of time in Canada they can provide you with a subset of banking services on both sides of the border.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

They're big enough to own the naming rights for the TD Garden (home of the Bruins and Celtics) here in Boston.  They have well over 1,000 brick and mortar banks in the US, so they're not a small bank by any means.  They've extended a lot of offers to me over the years, but I've never taken them up on any of them.  My Target card is old so it's been through a number of lenders, but they did certainly buy that portfolio from Target National Bank and I also have a newer Jordan's Furniture card issued by them.

Message 5 of 8
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

TD Bank has a number of branches here in Washington DC, including one in walking distance of my home.  I want to like them, but their credit cards have rewards programs that don't compete well with Chase and Amex.  And their checking and savings accounts don't compete well with PenFed and NFCU.  But they have a generally good reputation.

The banks in my neighborhood are Citibank, Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Capital One, TD Bank, Sun Trust, BB&T, PNC Bank, and M&T Bank.  I don't bank at any of them.  If I had to choose one of those, it would probably be either TD Bank or PNC Bank.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 8
busted2
New Contributor

TD? Good products. They don’t drop a lot of AA bombs. Above average CS. Rational and pleasant to deal with. If you value stability and predictability there you have it. You need to value those qualities over class leading qualities for the best fit. Forget flash or latest and greatest. imo, based on years of relationship, fwiw

Message 7 of 8
Turbobuick
Established Contributor

TD bank is the largest shareholder of TD Ameritrade brokerage. Solid.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.