Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Lovers

tag
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Target Lovers

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I couldn't find it quickly.  Is there any benefit for having the Target Credit Card (for people that pay off their balance every month) over the Target Debit card except for having another card for Util?  Seems like the same benefits come with the CC as the Debit Card.  Is it work having if you're really trying to scale down.  I have both Debit and Credit. I only use the MC at Target. I have a  2500 CL which is not a huge deal.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Target Lovers

Consumer protections afforded by the credit card and no direct access to your bank account would be the primary differences.  The savings are the same.

Message 2 of 8
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I started a similar thread a little while back. I have the debit card and was thinking about the CC, but the savings and free shipping are the same. I'd rather save that slot for another card. 

Message 3 of 8
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

I started a similar thread a little while back. I have the debit card and was thinking about the CC, but the savings and free shipping are the same. I'd rather save that slot for another card. 

This is what I did to save a slot as well. I wouldn't use the credit card (if upgraded) outside of Target, so getting the base store credit card didn't matter to me.

Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Consumer protections afforded by the credit card and no direct access to your bank account would be the primary differences.  The savings are the same.

For the bank account, the cautious/paranoid can link the debit card to a "minor" bank account.   I link mine to a (TD as it happens) account I use for nothing else.  Doesn't have to be filled "just in time" for each transaction, I keep enough in there to cover months of purchases, but not so much that I would miss it too much if in the worst case it got hacked.

Message 5 of 8
BetterMoves
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

For the bank account, the cautious/paranoid can link the debit card to a "minor" bank account.  

This is what I do; works fine (cautious, not paranoid).

But I actually don't use my Target debit card as much I thought I would...many times when I try to use the free shipping, some sort of exclusion will pop up.

Wells Fargo Active Cash
Discover it Chrome
Amazon Prime Store (Synchrony)
Walmart Store Card (Capital One)
Citi Costco Anywhere
American Express Blue Cash Preferred
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass
American Express Gold
Message 6 of 8
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

That's true. Didn't think about the hacked part and the direct tie to the bank. It's not hurting but I'm tired of managing it. Easy to put something on it since I'm already in Target but you're right, don't need both. 

Message 7 of 8
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

For the bank account, the cautious/paranoid can link the debit card to a "minor" bank account.   I link mine to a (TD as it happens) account I use for nothing else.  Doesn't have to be filled "just in time" for each transaction, I keep enough in there to cover months of purchases, but not so much that I would miss it too much if in the worst case it got hacked.

+ 100

Have an account for Pay-Pal and another for debit away from my main accounts.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.