Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target Red Card CLI?

tag
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

Target Red Card CLI?

I received a Target Red Card Dec 08 with a CL of $200 ... #1 does Target consider consumer requests for CLI's, and if they do, when should I ask for it?  Is now too early, do I need to wait 6 months from receipt?  How often should I use the card during the time when I am waiting for ask?
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
sunnyday
Frequent Contributor

Re: Target Red Card CLI?

I got an automatic increase by Target after 4 months of opening my card.  The same thing happened to a friend of mine.  We both used our cards and paid in full each month.  They increased both mine and my friend's card by an extra 200.00 after 4 months.  My friend had his longer and they increased him again after 3 more months to an additional 400.00.  It seems that if you use your card and then pay the balance off, you are able to get quicker credit line increases.  If you continue the pattern, they will automatically increase without asking for it.  I hope this helps.
Message 2 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

consumer requests are not an option on the red card.

They usually start you at 200, CLI you to 500 at 3 months and then up to 1k and upgrade to visa at 6 months....

HOWEVER this is were it seems to get lost in the system and there doesn't seem to be rime or reason for the increases... some get increases with PIF, some get increases with carrying balance. others just never make it anywhere regardless of what they do and there scores going to 750!!

I personally have had a target card since 1999, $200 limit auto cli to $300 sometime that same year... has sat at $300 since then to this day.  Last year I got mad that I felt like my card was lost in there system so I applied and was approved for a second Target RedCard. $200 limit, auto increased to $500 at month 3, I have purchased up to close to my limit every month and leave at least $50 unpaid on each month statement.  I'm currently waiting for month 6 to come next month to see if I get auto increased and converted to visa, but if they pass me by and my account just sits I give up with target! 

Message 3 of 24
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

thanks for the answers, now I know better what to expect!
Message 4 of 24
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

I have a Target Visa with a $3000 limit that I got in April of last year.  I always PIF and use it regularly generally charging $500 or so every month.  I called two weeks ago asking for a CLI and was told no.  The only thing different on my CR is a new account at Macy's, Ann Taylor and a Chase Visa.  I spoke with a rep there and he told me my account was in good standing but there was something on my credit which was preventing the increase. Today, I got a notice that they were increasing the interest rate to prime + 16.99% and never less than 22.99%.  My current interest rate is 17.99%.  Did anyone else get this?  It starts by saying:

"Like many credit cards issuers in this challenging economic environment, we are modifying some of the terms of our REDcard Agreement...."

Message 5 of 24
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

I got my card with $200 CL couple of years ago and it is still at $200 CL.
Message 6 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

concorduser wrote:
I got my card with $200 CL couple of years ago and it is still at $200 CL.

Ditto. Mine is over a year old and still at $200. DW got a CLI at her first month to $500 and still is there after 1.5 yrs.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

99% of the population gts a $200 credit limit and stays that way for the end of time. Nobody that I know of has been able to request anything of Target. This card is just abot worthless.
Message 8 of 24
smo65d11
Regular Contributor

is it better to get rid of the card, or just keep it since it would show up for the next 10 years as a closed tradeline?
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

For purposes of age I have decided not to cancel my account but I haven't used it since last May and the have not reacted so I just let it sit.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.