Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target RedCard Upgrade

tag
JasonX84
New Visitor

Target RedCard Upgrade

Hello all,
A week ago made it exactly two years since I was approved for the Target RedCard in 2020. I finally received a CLI of $1,100 brining my total line to 2K. I initially started with $900, and have been rebuilding credit since early 2016. I received a letter in the mail informing me I am being upgraded to the Mastercard in two months. I'm a little underwhelmed with the credit limit based on other reviews who mention getting up to 6K before the upgrade, but still happy. I have higher limits with Capital One. I always pay my Target RedCard in full and use less that 15%. Only advantage I see for myself with the Mastercard is 2% back on gas and dining - although my SavorOne gives me 3% for dining. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Target RedCard Upgrade

Target Red Card is run by TD Bank. You cant compare other banks on how they operate their credit division. No one will ever match on CL's or CLI's with any bank or creditor. Cap1 runs it their way. TD Bank has their own way. Usage % may have helped being promoted to the MC. Since you PIF each time. The CL will help with aggregate util %'s if you carry balances on other cards. Thats how higher lines of credit work. Congrats on the upgrade. And welcome to the forums!

Message 2 of 8
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JasonX84 wrote:

Hello all,
A week ago made it exactly two years since I was approved for the Target RedCard in 2020. I finally received a CLI of $1,100 brining my total line to 2K. I initially started with $900, and have been rebuilding credit since early 2016. I received a letter in the mail informing me I am being upgraded to the Mastercard in two months. I'm a little underwhelmed with the credit limit based on other reviews who mention getting up to 6K before the upgrade, but still happy. I have higher limits with Capital One. I always pay my Target RedCard in full and use less that 15%. Only advantage I see for myself with the Mastercard is 2% back on gas and dining - although my SavorOne gives me 3% for dining. 

Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on the CLI and the upgrade Smiley Happy

PS Perhaps you should ask the moderators to move this thread to "Credit Card Approvals"

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 8
azdude480
Established Member

Congratulations on the upgrade! I think they originally approved me for something like 2K immediately post bankruptcy (circa 2014). I had a previous MC with them for many years, though, and didn't burn them in the bankruptcy for anything.

Over the last 8-9 years since then, it's only grown to $3500 and has stalled out there. (It's fine though, it's insanely unlikely I'd ever spend more than $1200 at any given time at Target.)

Well done though. Smiley Happy Something about a 'store' card having that little Visa, MasterCard, or AMEX logo makes it better (and more convenient and 'rewarding' to use, of course)!

***Lurker since 2012. Member since 2022.***
Primary Cards:
Amex BlueAmex EverydayCapital One KohlsCapital One Quicksilver MastercardCapital One Quicksilver MastercardCapital One VentureOneCapital One Walmart MastercardCardless Boston Celtics MastercardCeltic Bank AMC Stubs Visa SignatureChase Amazon Prime Rewards Visa SignatureCiti BestBuy Visa SignatureComenity BH PaybooComenity Sportsmans WarehouseComenity Victorias SecretComenity ZalesCurae Banner HealthDiscover ITDiscover ITGoldman Sachs Apple MastercardGoldman Sachs GM MastercardPenFed Pathfinder Visa SignaturePenFed Platinum Rewards Visa SignaturePenFed PowerCash Visa SignatureSynchrony Bank Verizon Visa SignatureTD Nordstrom Visa PlatinumTD Target MastercardWebBank Dell PreferredWebBank Gemini World MastercardWebBank Petal 2

Authorized User Cards:
Barclays Old NavyCapital One SavorOne MastercardChase Freedom Flex UnlimitedWells Fargo Active Cash

***Total Credit Limit: $272,400***
***In the garden until July 2025.***
Message 4 of 8
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations on your Target MC upgrade!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 8
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

Congratulations with the target upgrade to the Mc version.

Message 6 of 8
NoMoreE46
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Congratulations @JasonX84 .

Most are upgraded when the CL = > $4,000.  $2,000 is one of the lowest amounts I have seen getting the MC version.   In fact, you are the 2nd. 

Consider yourself lucky on getting to it so quickly.  

It can grow. 

Message 7 of 8
gendelmel
Visitor

Congratulations!!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.