Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target coded as Supermarket?

tag
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Target coded as Supermarket?

Quick question about Target, bonuses, etc...

I just got both a BA Cash Rewards and a Discover IT. I used the Discover card at Target last month and it seems to classify the purchase at "Supermarket".

I haven't used the BA card there yet (I haven't been back to Target since after the breach.) What I was wondering is if I used the BA card at Target I would get the 2% back as the bonus?

Would love some insight...thanks!

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target coded as Supermarket?

Strange but yes for my transactions. Purchased a camera and lots of extras and got many bonus points due to the transaction being coded as a supermarket. I ask no questions!!!
Message 2 of 6
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@injustifiiable wrote:

Quick question about Target, bonuses, etc...

I just got both a BA Cash Rewards and a Discover IT. I used the Discover card at Target last month and it seems to classify the purchase at "Supermarket".

I haven't used the BA card there yet (I haven't been back to Target since after the breach.) What I was wondering is if I used the BA card at Target I would get the 2% back as the bonus?

Would love some insight...thanks!

If you can get the target red debit card 5% off instally and it just draws from you checking account. Its not a credit card so theres no hard pull. Plus if you want to return something you dont need receipt they can look it up by the card. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 3 of 6
Mrm-na
Contributor

The Target near me was recently upgraded to have a large grocery section.  Since then, I've used a Mastercard there and it was classified as a grocery store.

Traditional style Target stores (without the large grocery area) are probably coded differently, but I haven't checked.

Message 4 of 6
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Mrm-na wrote:

The Target near me was recently upgraded to have a large grocery section.  Since then, I've used a Mastercard there and it was classified as a grocery store.

Traditional style Target stores (without the large grocery area) are probably coded differently, but I haven't checked.

Yes..so was mine. Could be a corelation there...it's pretty decent, actually. Plus, I can walk to it. loll

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 5 of 6
Brax
Frequent Contributor

Some traditional Targets I've noticed are coded as grocery stores; others are not. I'm just speculating, but the difference could be whether the store has several aisles of coolers/freezers as opposed to one small row of coolers/freezers against the wall.

The Visa Merchant lookup tool is very effective and I've noticed the merchant classification is usually the same for Visa and Mastercard.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.