Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Target

tag
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

Target

Good afternoon to all....

Anyone ever had luck getting a 2nd Target card after paying a charge off with them?  My scores are in the mid-upper 500's and I would like to have the card again.  Any advice on I can do?  Thanx a buchSmiley Happy

Live~Laugh~Love

Starting Score: EQ 401, TU430
Current Score: EQ 501, TU 500
Goal Score: 700+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 1 of 17
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Target

My suggestions would be to wait until you're at least above 620, then call and ask them. Explain your situation, and how you're confident that it'll never happen again. Tell them that you can now demonstrate that you have adequate income and ability to pay, and that one of your favorite places to shop is Target. And mention that you read in a Money Magazine article that they might agree to "debt forgiveness" given that you did pay. See what they say to that.

If they blacklist for a while, nothing gained & nothing lost. I'm fairly willing to bet that they don't blacklist forever. Wait for it to fall of your reports, do some shopping, and then wait for an 'offer' at the register.

Message 9 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
nmorton79
Regular Contributor

I guess no takers, huh? Well, I guess I have my answer then...thanks anywaySmiley Happy
Live~Laugh~Love

Starting Score: EQ 401, TU430
Current Score: EQ 501, TU 500
Goal Score: 700+ across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Live~Laugh~Love
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Realistically, had you called them and negotiated prior to paying off the charge off, you might have had a better time having them re open for you as a condition of payment.

now you are just paid off and probably black listed for awhile.
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Target is some B.S. from what i have heard and seen in this forum I think people would be better off by not getting this card. $200 measly credit line. People can do better,hell i would just pay cash before i would get that card.Smiley Sad No advantages for having that garbage can card.

Target should be ashamed of themselves for do this to people.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have that great $200.00 CL at Target and have for over one year.  They say they are always checking and seeing if they can increase it but I don't believe that.  My score is up over 50 points since I got that card and they never increase it but to tell you the truth I like it this way.  I don't use it much but when I do it usually for something and then I pay the bill off before the end of the month.  I don't care if they every increase it anymore as what can you do.  We will see what happens as time goes by.   
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I have that great $200.00 CL at Target and have for over one year.  They say they are always checking and seeing if they can increase it but I don't believe that.  My score is up over 50 points since I got that card and they never increase it but to tell you the truth I like it this way.  I don't use it much but when I do it usually for something and then I pay the bill off before the end of the month.  I don't care if they every increase it anymore as what can you do.  We will see what happens as time goes by.   

Well...if that works for you then it's ok. But I'm just saying.....a $200 CL is like a slap in the face come'on. Hell they give out better CL's then that at the Goodwill store. BAD-----> Target

Message 6 of 17
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

I know exactly what you are saying but it's a positive trade line reporting and no AF's and they do give cards to people with less than perfect credit. I have been frustrated with my target card also. It's been over a year now with no increase in sight. I like to shop their store more than say a WalMart or similar stores. I just can't use the card for much. I do appreciate them giving me a card to help improve my credit and it can stay in the SD and come out twice a year Smiley Happy
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dizbuster wrote:
I know exactly what you are saying but it's a positive trade line reporting and no AF's and they do give cards to people with less than perfect credit. I have been frustrated with my target card also. It's been over a year now with no increase in sight. I like to shop their store more than say a WalMart or similar stores. I just can't use the card for much. I do appreciate them giving me a card to help improve my credit and it can stay in the SD and come out twice a year Smiley Happy

See that's what I'm taking about...you will have the card for a year, and they won't give you any increase to prove your responsible with it. Isn't that the basis of having the card is for rebuilding etc. A paltry $200 token is just enough to buy a couple of Blu-Ray movies....that's it. BAD---------->TargetSmiley Mad

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggestions would be to wait until you're at least above 620, then call and ask them. Explain your situation, and how you're confident that it'll never happen again. Tell them that you can now demonstrate that you have adequate income and ability to pay, and that one of your favorite places to shop is Target. And mention that you read in a Money Magazine article that they might agree to "debt forgiveness" given that you did pay. See what they say to that.

If they blacklist for a while, nothing gained & nothing lost. I'm fairly willing to bet that they don't blacklist forever. Wait for it to fall of your reports, do some shopping, and then wait for an 'offer' at the register.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that it's a bit of a stretch to say that it's a "slap in the face". Frequently, the Target store cards are issued when we have less than stellar credit. And, they're not issuing them for the purpose of helping people to rebuild their credit, they're trying to help you to help their bottom line, which includes minimizing losses.

But, I understand the frustration! I fired Cap1 after realizing that I had one of their "dead" rebuilder cards that would never be eligible for an increase, had a double-digit APR, and an annual fee. It was so frustrating (at the time, I think I used the word "demoralizing") to work and work, and still not be good enough. I had to come to accept that I am not owed credit, even for a perfect history as I had with Cap1. And, when I was in a position to say, "I don't NEED you anymore", I threw off the training wheels and severed the relationship. My consolation? As their rate of default rises, they lost a GOOD customer who paid. Drop in a bucket, but it made me feel good.

I think that we have to view store cards a bit differently that major credit lines. They were never really intended to grow big, in Target's case. I forget the exact maximum on the store card, but it's not that high. And, it appears that when you reach 1k that they offer you the VISA. I've even heard (can't speak to the veracity of the info) that Target even considers the market/area in their lending decisions, and may cap some areas lower than others. And, Target is not a Macy's or a Nordstrom. Unless you're trying to furnish your entire house in one shopping trip, and get some groceries, a few hundred dollars is going to suffice for the *average* trip to Target, for non-commercial purposes. If you use their card (vs. SDing it) you might notice that they loosen the purse strings near the holiday push. There were dozens of us, quite a few who'd been at $200 for YEARS, who got Target luv right at the holidays, out of the blue.

All that to say-- it may never dazzle you with rewards (ever higher credit lines and perks to your liking), but it is a positive tradeline that will add to the mix of credit, and that doesn't charge ridiculous fees to keep in your wallet (unless you carry balances, then the APR is sky high). If Target is a regular stop on your shopping trail, then you're probably the type of customer that they're targeting their credit products at, and when the stars align, and they're feeling in the mood-- the luv will suddenly appear. Until then, just let it be for what it was intended-- a discount retail store card for every day household needs.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.