Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing AMEX blacklist

tag
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Testing AMEX blacklist

I've been on and off applying for AMEX over the last five years (I included them in BK). Yes, I know there is no chance until they decide i'm forgiven (if that ever happens). I was looking at my EX report yesterday and noticed three soft pulls from June and July, on the days I app'd. I'm wondering if the blacklist is starting to soften up a bit? Every other time I app'd nothing ever appeared on my CR. My understanding is they don't pull soft or hard if they deny you due to burning them in BK.

Just something interesting I noticed and thought i'd share.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Re: Testing AMEX blacklist

Do you have the option of being added as an AU on another's account until you are able to once again acquire an individual account with them?

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 2 of 28
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

I have heard if you pay Amex  the bal you owe them you may be able to get back in.

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 3 of 28
Stralem
Established Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

Do you have the option of being added as an AU on another's account until you are able to once again acquire an individual account with them?

He included Amex in his bankruptcy, so he can't even be added as an AU.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 4 of 28
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@-Wade- wrote:

I have heard if you pay Amex  the bal you owe them you may be able to get back in.

+1 Or try to make a payment plan of some sort. I've heard of many people on here with the Optima Card that was able to get back into getting to AMEX after a couple fo payments (not necessarily paying them off in full). So there's still a chance.

Also, has it been atleast been 5 years since the BK?

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 5 of 28
avggoal700
Frequent Contributor

How long does amex blacklist for BK

EX 706. TU 705 EQ 682. Avg 698
Message 6 of 28
SevenNEW
Established Contributor

@avggoal700 wrote:

How long does amex blacklist for BK

I have no direct experience, but from what I read here YMMV. Some people were able to get back in a couple of years after their CR got clean, others never made it.

SevenNEW, Garden Nerd - In the Garden until 2015!
4.2K 10K 24.6K
Message 7 of 28
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

Wrong!

Amex stopped blocking people from being added as AU when blacklisted some time ago, it was actually a very short period that amex took the no card for you policy to even include AU. I know from personal experience from when they started blocking AU accounts too if you are blacklisted to getting back on as AU a couple years later. (all in the like 2007-2009 area.

Message 8 of 28
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

it took me 9 years after Chapter 7 BK to get back in with AMEX and I included them as well

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 9 of 28
Stralem
Established Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

Wrong!

Amex stopped blocking people from being added as AU when blacklisted some time ago, it was actually a very short period that amex took the no card for you policy to even include AU. I know from personal experience from when they started blocking AU accounts too if you are blacklisted to getting back on as AU a couple years later. (all in the like 2007-2009 area.

youwotm8.PNG

wut?

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.