Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about closing/downgrading Citi AA card before AF

tag
FlaDude
Valued Contributor

Thinking about closing/downgrading Citi AA card before AF

I have the Citi®/AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard (possibly the longest credit card name ever). The main perk for me is early boarding and the free checked bag. I rarely fly AA any more so as part of my plan to reduce AFs over the next year I'm leaning towards axing this one. Does anyone have experience with downgrading cards with Citi? Will they let me PC to the no fee Mile Up card? That card has very minimal benefits (2x on AA purchases, 25% off onboard purchases), but I do have a $15k CL that I'd like to keep. OTOH, closing it wouldn't break my heart either. Any thoughts either way?

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Thinking about closing/downgrading Citi AA card before AF

Call or chat with citi to see what PC options you have.

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 4
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Call and ask about PC options,  it can depend upon your particular history with Citi but they are one of the more liberal cardholders in allowing product changes - and that sometimes includes the ability to product change to a card in a different family like from a co-branded AA card to a core card like the Custom Cash, if that would better suit you - as long as you've held the current card for at least 12 months.

(9/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 3 of 4
FlaDude
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I gave them a call asking about switching to a no AF card and they offered the Miles Up card. I didn't ask about the Custom Cash, if I decide to go that way I'll do a new signup and get the SUB. I just closed my Amex Green so I suppose that leaves an open slot in my portfolio just waiting to be filled.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.