cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about my first CC with an annual fee - Citi Premier Card - but have a question...

tag
StevieK
Established Member

Thinking about my first CC with an annual fee - Citi Premier Card - but have a question...

So I'm thinking about applying for my first CC that has an annual fee - the Citi Premier Card.  All other cards I have up until this point have no annual fees, so I can just let them sit and do nothing with them and they don't cost me anything.  This decision would change the nature of the game for me.

The reasons I am thinking about this card are:

• Spend $4,000 in the first three months and get 80,000 bonus ThankYou Points
  • 3% cash back in gas stations, restaurants, supermarkets, and air travel/hotels

One question I have that I have not been able to find answers to is, can I redeem those 80,000 TYP for cash, or just gift cards?  Some places say just gift cards, others say I can get cash back.  I can't seem to find a reliable answer anywhere.  Perhaps someone with the card can check?

Anway, if you go to the ThankYou.com website's redemption options and scroll down to "Cash" it shows possible options as Statement Credit, Direct Deposit, and Check by Mail.  So it would seem that getting that first 80,000 as $800 (and all subsequent rewards) is possible, yes?

citi premier.jpg

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Thinking about my first CC with an annual fee - Citi Premier Card - but have a question...

Correct, Citi recently offered customers the option of cash redemptions for your TYP points. Here is the thankyou.com page you are talking about. Screenshot'd this from my wife's account who recently got the SUB (again) and we are just sitting on the points for now

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 15-15-38 Rewards.png

Message 2 of 24
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

Re: Thinking about my first CC with an annual fee - Citi Premier Card - but have a question...

@simplynoir wrote:

Correct, Citi recently offered customers the option of cash redemptions for your TYP points. Here is the thankyou.com page you are talking about. Screenshot'd this from my wife's account who recently got the SUB (again) and we are just sitting on the points for now

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 15-15-38 Rewards.png

Thats some great marketing - I want that card, with those points, so I can smile like the guy in the pic. 

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 3 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I want it too but I have no clue when I'll be eligible so I have to wait, and wait, and wait. And wait.

Then wait some more. 

Message 4 of 24
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

@Remedios your Ghandi qquote is the absolute best. 

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 5 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Itgem679 wrote:

@Remediosyour Ghandi qquote is the absolute best. 

I agree 

Message 6 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

I want it too but I have no clue when I'll be eligible so I have to wait, and wait, and wait. And wait.

Then wait some more. 

@Remedios, that's what I did with @Anonymous's new app she was actually eligible months ago but I waited to be safe. Now when she logs in she has two Premier cards ackwardly staring and pointing at each other like a Spiderman meme. One of them will go the way of the Infinity gauntlet and disappear soon so we can do this whole waiting game again

I can't apply til next year when I got the original SUB and I want one already. Stupid product changes..... 😐

Message 7 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Then wait some more. 

@Remedios, that's what I did with @Anonymous's new app she was actually eligible months ago but I waited to be safe. Now when she logs in she has two Premier cards ackwardly staring and pointing at each other like a Spiderman meme. One of them will go the way of the Infinity gauntlet and disappear soon so we can do this whole waiting game again

I can't apply til next year when I got the original SUB and I want one already. Stupid product changes..... 😐

I was approved in November 2019.

Did a PC in November 2020 before AF posted. When I look in the app, there is two years worth of statements without requesting statements older than two years.

December 2020 statement has a new card number, so I'm using December 2020 as a starting point for 24 month wait. 

Just to be on a safe side, I've picked February if SUB remains the same. 

Am I looking at this wrong? 

Message 8 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

Then wait some more. 

I'm in the same 🕳

I'll have to recalculate the timeframe cuz one of the PC'd CCs from a year ago seemingly may have reset the SUB clock. And, recently Expedia+ CC was discontinued and converted to Rewards+ 😑

Message 9 of 24
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

Then wait some more. 

I was approved in November 2019.

Did a PC in November 2020 before AF posted. When I look in the app, there is two years worth of statements without requesting statements older than two years.

December 2020 statement has a new card number, so I'm using December 2020 as a starting point for 24 month wait. 

Just to be on a safe side, I've picked February if SUB remains the same. 

Am I looking at this wrong? 

And no other Citi PCs or any other recent TY-type of accounts opened, right? If so, December [month-end] should be good, but if you want to hold off to early 2023 you should be 👍

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.