Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Between CLI for AMEX After Denial

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Time Between CLI for AMEX After Denial

I got my very first AMEX card back in Oct. 2018 with a measly $500 limit. I requested a CLI at 61 days and was declined. Tried about a month later and declined again. So my question is:  How often can you request a CLI after being denied? Do you have to wait a full 60 days again, or can you try again like the next week like you can with Discover and Synchrony?

I want to close this card because I upgraded it to the BCP, but I want to be able to move the limit. Since it's only $500, they won't move that limit over. So I wanted to get an increase on it, move the limit over, then close it.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Time Between CLI for AMEX After Denial

Assuming the reason is not requesting too early you can request again 91 days after a denial.

Message 2 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

OMG! I don't even know how I didn't realize this, but I got an automatic CLI on my BCE!! It's now up to $1,000! I know it's not much, but I'll take it for now. Smiley LOL I was sorting through some old emails and found one that said Congrats! from AMEX yesterday...

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 3 of 24
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Automatic CLIs will not disqualify you from asking for one when the timing is right.

Message 4 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir

Good to know!! I’ll just wait a few months before I ask again. It’s not like Discover or my Amazon, CareCredit, Sleep Number cards where I can ask like every day if I wanted to lol. I requested on from Discover last month, got denied, asked again the next day, got approved!

Message 5 of 24
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

I was denied my first CLI at the 61 days then denied the next CLI time -go -around ROFL but I am new with them and I have heard 180 days is the general sweet spot....my next time is up in August I believe so hopefully 3rd try is a charm!  Smiley Very Happy  

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you hit the button early then go recalculate the dates and try again then.

If you're denied outside of an early attempt then it's typically a 90 day wait.

If you're approved then it's 180 days before you can go for it again.  This counts for people w/ 2+ cards as the CLI clock is per cardholder not per card.

Message 7 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you hit the button early then go recalculate the dates and try again then.

If you're denied outside of an early attempt then it's typically a 90 day wait.

If you're approved then it's 180 days before you can go for it again.  This counts for people w/ 2+ cards as the CLI clock is per cardholder not per card.

Thank you! That's probably why I haven't been able to get any CLI's on my other AMEX cards. I got an auto increase on my BCE like 2 months ago? So it seems I need to wait 180 days for any other CLI's. 

However, when I chatted with someone at AMEX about this, they said I was eligible to request a CLI, but we all know how those front line CSR's can give the wrong info sometimes. 

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a Delta Gold Skymiles in late January. Applied for a CLI at 91 days, and was denied. Tried again 30 days later, and was approved. So the posters saying you have to wait 90 or 180 days after a denial are incorrect.

Message 9 of 24
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got a Delta Gold Skymiles in late January. Applied for a CLI at 91 days, and was denied. Tried again 30 days later, and was approved. So the posters saying you have to wait 90 or 180 days after a denial are incorrect.

@Anonymous, you may have been an exception for whatever reason, but the 90/180 days still stands true. Just making a blanket statement about posters saying that are incorrect, is actually incorrect in itself. There will always be exceptions to the rule, but rule still stands. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.