Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Between CLI for AMEX After Denial

tag
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Time Between CLI for AMEX After Denial

Agreed, you may have had an odd exception and that's great, but amex guidelines are pretty well known and verified on these forums .
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 11 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

I'm guessing the CSR just didn't understand the question I was asking. I'll stick to what this forum has mentioned and let that be my guide for my AMEX CLI's. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize; I wasn't trying to spread misinformation. Actually I believe my odd case was based on the fact that my denial included the reason that I hadn't been with AMEX long enough and it wasn't based solely on my credit score. I think that is a known exception to the 90/180 rule (I believe I've seen that in a thread on here).

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

The rules for Amex CLIs are pretty clear and straightforward:

1.  If denied for a credit-related reason, the wait is 90 days from the date of the CLI denial.  This is simple to ascertain from the Adverse Action Notice that will be mailed to you by Amex and which is also available online.

2.  If denied for a time-related reason, the wait is 30 days from the date of denial.  Time-related reasons are like applying before the first 60 days of card membership have elapsed, or applying before 180 days have elapsed since a previous CLI.

Amex's computers will automatically reject any CLI request submitted before the required waiting period(s) for the initial denial expire, but fortunately the clock is not reset. 

The complicating factor is that new cardmembers are eligible to request a CLI after 60 days; obviously this is available only once as you are only new once.  The probability of approval after just 60 days is low any many new applicants are denied.  The wait then becomes an additional 90 days from the denial date before a CLI request can be re-submitted but if all goes well, a new cardmember can conceivably get a CLI after 150 days.

However, the wait for existing cardmembers is 180 days between CLIs. So its frequently recommended that new cardmembers also wait 180 days from the date of approval to maximize their odds; especially if they were first approved with a marginal EX FICO score.

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you hit the button early then go recalculate the dates and try again then.

If you're denied outside of an early attempt then it's typically a 90 day wait.

If you're approved then it's 180 days before you can go for it again.  This counts for people w/ 2+ cards as the CLI clock is per cardholder not per card.

Thank you! That's probably why I haven't been able to get any CLI's on my other AMEX cards. I got an auto increase on my BCE like 2 months ago? So it seems I need to wait 180 days for any other CLI's. 

However, when I chatted with someone at AMEX about this, they said I was eligible to request a CLI, but we all know how those front line CSR's can give the wrong info sometimes. 

An auto increase does not reset the clock, so if 180 days have passed since you last requested and were approved for a CLI you can try again right away.  The rules only apply to requests initiated by the cardholder, not to auto-increases granted by Amex.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The rules for Amex CLIs are pretty clear and straightforward:

1.  If denied for a credit-related reason, the wait is 90 days from the date of the CLI denial.  This is simple to ascertain from the Adverse Action Notice that will be mailed to you by Amex and which is also available online.

2.  If denied for a time-related reason, the wait is 30 days from the date of denial.  Time-related reasons are like applying before the first 60 days of card membership have elapsed, or applying before 180 days have elapsed since a previous CLI.

Amex's computers will automatically reject any CLI request submitted before the required waiting period(s) for the initial denial expire, but fortunately the clock is not reset. 

The complicating factor is that new cardmembers are eligible to request a CLI after 60 days; obviously this is available only once as you are only new once.  The probability of approval after just 60 days is low any many new applicants are denied.  The wait then becomes an additional 90 days from the denial date before a CLI request can be re-submitted but if all goes well, a new cardmember can conceivably get a CLI after 150 days.

However, the wait for existing cardmembers is 180 days between CLIs. So its frequently recommended that new cardmembers also wait 180 days from the date of approval to maximize their odds; especially if they were first approved with a marginal EX FICO score.

Okay, my situation appears to add something to the rules. I was a new cardmember. I actually waited more than the first 60 days (it was 91 days when I requested the first CLI). My denial said something like "your relationship with AMEX is too recent," which I took as "you haven't had an account long enough," despite it being more than 60 days. I also interpreted that as meaning I could apply again in 30 days. And when I applied again, 30 days later, I was approved.

Message 16 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're approved then it's 180 days before you can go for it again.  This counts for people w/ 2+ cards as the CLI clock is per cardholder not per card.

Thank you! That's probably why I haven't been able to get any CLI's on my other AMEX cards. I got an auto increase on my BCE like 2 months ago? So it seems I need to wait 180 days for any other CLI's. 

However, when I chatted with someone at AMEX about this, they said I was eligible to request a CLI, but we all know how those front line CSR's can give the wrong info sometimes. 

An auto increase does not reset the clock, so if 180 days have passed since you last requested and were approved for a CLI you can try again right away.  The rules only apply to requests initiated by the cardholder, not to auto-increases granted by Amex.

I've never receivd a CLI other than that one auto CLI. 

Ok so let's say I request a CLI once a week, does that mean the clock resets each time I request one and am denied? Or did the clock start from that first denial and anything I do before that time doesn't matter? Does that make sense?

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 17 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so let's say I request a CLI once a week, does that mean the clock resets each time I request one and am denied? Or did the clock start from that first denial and anything I do before that time doesn't matter? Does that make sense?

It's my understanding that the 90 days - from - denial clock keeps resetting on each denial.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 18 of 24
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It's my understanding that the 90 days - from - denial clock keeps resetting on each denial.

Well then... I've been going about this all wrong. I guess It's not like Synchrony or Discover where you could be denied one day and approved the next, which has happened to me. Thanks for all the info!

Message 19 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well then... I've been going about this all wrong. I guess It's not like Synchrony or Discover where you could be denied one day and approved the next, which has happened to me. Thanks for all the info!

Some years back I was doing the same thing, until someone told me that I was definitely going to keep on getting denials until I waited 91 days from the last denial Smiley Happy There isn't a day that goes by that I don't learn something here.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.