cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a new CC. Help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time for a new CC. Help!

Just got my updated scores. Expierian and TU 761. Equifax 747. I only have one CC right now. USAA Platimum MC with a 9k CL. I have no debt. What's the best card to get that'll continue to raise my score and offer me the best benefits. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time for a new CC. Help!


@Anonymous wrote:

Just got my updated scores. Expierian and TU 761. Equifax 747. I only have one CC right now. USAA Platimum MC with a 9k CL. I have no debt. What's the best card to get that'll continue to raise my score and offer me the best benefits. Thanks! 


There's a lot of factors to consider when getting a CC.   What do you typically spend the most on in a month?  Are there any stores in particular that you frequent?  Do you travel frequently?   Do you travel internationally?   Does cash back interest you or points?   Do you plan on PIF or carrying a balance?



Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 814 (TU08, 8/10/23)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $20000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time for a new CC. Help!

I don't really spend much on anything month but groceries and gas. I will be traveling to Texas and Florida a few times a year to visit family but that's about it. Maybe a trip back home to Germany everyonce in a while. Both cash back and points interest me. I'm thinking to carry a low balance for a few months, then pay it off and continue with that cycle. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time for a new CC. Help!

Since you already have USAA, I would assume you qualify for a NFCU membership. I love the cash rewards card. Flagship and GORewards are also good.
Your score is good so I would assume you can get almost any card you like. Based on your spend it would appear as though SallieMae may be good for you. Depending how much you spend, you should also consider Amex BCE or BCP.
Capital One Venture is a popular card with a very straight forward rewards structure and huge limits.
Perhaps a CSP and Freedom combination?
Message 4 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Time for a new CC. Help!


@Anonymous wrote:

I don't really spend much on anything month but groceries and gas. I will be traveling to Texas and Florida a few times a year to visit family but that's about it. Maybe a trip back home to Germany everyonce in a while. Both cash back and points interest me. I'm thinking to carry a low balance for a few months, then pay it off and continue with that cycle. 


Sallie Mae Mastercard should be on your radar, since they offer 5% rewards on gas and groceries on up to $250 of your spend in each category.  IIRC, you can redeem through statement credits.   

 

If you have a large grocery spend, AMEX BCP may work.   Or if you just wanted to get in with AMEX, BCE might be good too.

 

I'd also recommend Discover It, since they're doubling all cash back rewards on new accounts (they will provide the doubled part after 12 months).   So this makes it effectively a 2% card for the first year.   Gas is sometimes offered as a quarterly category.    Chase Freedom might also be good, if you like rotating 5% categories.  

 

If you need something with no FTF, Cap One QS would be good.   It's a general 1.5% cash back CC.



Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 814 (TU08, 8/10/23)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $20000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time for a new CC. Help!


@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't really spend much on anything month but groceries and gas. I will be traveling to Texas and Florida a few times a year to visit family but that's about it. Maybe a trip back home to Germany everyonce in a while. Both cash back and points interest me. I'm thinking to carry a low balance for a few months, then pay it off and continue with that cycle. 


Sallie Mae Mastercard should be on your radar, since they offer 5% rewards on gas and groceries on up to $250 of your spend in each category.  IIRC, you can redeem through statement credits.   

 

If you have a large grocery spend, AMEX BCP may work.   Or if you just wanted to get in with AMEX, BCE might be good too.

 

I'd also recommend Discover It, since they're doubling all cash back rewards on new accounts (they will provide the doubled part after 12 months).   So this makes it effectively a 2% card for the first year.   Gas is sometimes offered as a quarterly category.    Chase Freedom might also be good, if you like rotating 5% categories.  

 

If you need something with no FTF, Cap One QS would be good.   It's a general 1.5% cash back CC.


I'm not sure about Discover still doubling. I thought they stopped taking new people on that promotion. Or maybe they just stopped offering it to existing card holders? In any case, I'd double check before basing a decision on that OP. 

 

 

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Time for a new CC. Help!


@Anonymous wrote:

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't really spend much on anything month but groceries and gas. I will be traveling to Texas and Florida a few times a year to visit family but that's about it. Maybe a trip back home to Germany everyonce in a while. Both cash back and points interest me. I'm thinking to carry a low balance for a few months, then pay it off and continue with that cycle. 


Sallie Mae Mastercard should be on your radar, since they offer 5% rewards on gas and groceries on up to $250 of your spend in each category.  IIRC, you can redeem through statement credits.   

 

If you have a large grocery spend, AMEX BCP may work.   Or if you just wanted to get in with AMEX, BCE might be good too.

 

I'd also recommend Discover It, since they're doubling all cash back rewards on new accounts (they will provide the doubled part after 12 months).   So this makes it effectively a 2% card for the first year.   Gas is sometimes offered as a quarterly category.    Chase Freedom might also be good, if you like rotating 5% categories.  

 

If you need something with no FTF, Cap One QS would be good.   It's a general 1.5% cash back CC.


I'm not sure about Discover still doubling. I thought they stopped taking new people on that promotion. Or maybe they just stopped offering it to existing card holders? In any case, I'd double check before basing a decision on that OP. 

 

 


I was going to say the same thing. I hear those who are in on the deal are fine however I have read a lot lately of people not being able to get the promotion.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.