Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to Request a CL increase?

tag
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

Time to Request a CL increase?

Just wondering if I should request a credit limit increase on my Citi Forward card. Opened the account in '09 when I was a student (originally an MTVU card) and have never missed a payment and always paid in full. Opened a Citi Dividends World MasterCard last year and haven't missed a payment on that either. Never have asked for a limit increase and never have received one.

Forward: $4k CL
Dividends WMC: $4.2k limit
Income: $55k
Current utilization: ~ 25%, but will be under 10% in two months

My only other card is an AmEx Zync NPSL I just opened.

Am I fine as is or should I request an increase? I feel like my current salary warrants a higher CL, but really have no need for it aside from the peace of mind that were I to use one of the cards for a big purchase, my utilization wouldn't shoot through the roof (like it did when I bought a new laptop a couple weeks ago).

My TU FICO is a 706, mainly because of my poor utilization. What if analysis says it would go up to 739-779 range if my balance on my revolvers were paid off. AAoA of about 2.5 years, with 2 revolvers, 1 charge, 1 car loan, and student loans (listed as 5 separate installment accounts). 0 hard pulls on TU, but 6 on Equifax (apartment, cable company, car loan, etc - all setting up for life after school). No missed payments or baddies.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: Time to Request a CL increase?

Just got my Forward card few months ago cause I thought was SP.  Seen on here recently that Citi is doing HP's.  Don't know who to believe can any1 chime in?  If it's an SP go 4 it.  If hard get your ti down to under 10% first.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 2 of 3
sunshine7157
Regular Contributor

Re: Time to Request a CL increase?

@migliogiorni wrote:

Just got my Forward card few months ago cause I thought was SP.  Seen on here recently that Citi is doing HP's.  Don't know who to believe can any1 chime in?  If it's an SP go 4 it.  If hard get your ti down to under 10% first.

I requested a cli in June at my 6-month date via online (for citi dividend) and was approved with a SP. It indicated immediately that they did NOT pull my CR.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.