Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timing downgrade from Amex Delta Gold to Blue

tag
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Timing downgrade from Amex Delta Gold to Blue

I have an Amex Delta Gold that I don't use much. I have been planning for a while to downgrade it to Blue, to eliminate the AF. I put that plan on hold in 2021, when Amex instituted $10/mo credits for any restaurant purchases on the Gold. Those have now ended, so I'm trying to decide when to pull the trigger on the PC.

My AF posts in March (or maybe it's April?). I'm thinking if I wait until after it posts, I can call in to PC and have at least a small chance of getting a retention offer to keep the Gold. But if I'm wrong and they don't give retention offers on this card, then I would be slightly better off doing the PC now and getting a few months of prorated AF refunded. 

The dollars at stake are not huge, but I'm curious if anyone has advice on when I should do the PC. Any suggestions are welcome!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Timing downgrade from Amex Delta Gold to Blue

I downgraded my platinum to blue yesterday. My anniversary is this month. Already updated later that day.

Message 2 of 9
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Are retention offers common when a customer asks to PC to a lower/no AF card? I thought they were mainly for contemplated closures.

The times I've asked for a retention offer, I've never mentioned PCing.

The times I've asked to downgrade, I've never been offered retention.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 9
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner: Did they offer you any retention bonus?

Message 4 of 9
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Are retention offers common when a customer asks to PC to a lower/no AF card? I thought they were mainly for contemplated closures.

The times I've asked for a retention offer, I've never mentioned PCing.

The times I've asked to downgrade, I've never been offered retention.

Good point. I once called to discuss the recently posted AF on my Gold charge card. I didn't say anything about closing or PC'ing. I simply asked if they could do anything to take the sting out of the AF. They offered MR or cash. I hadn't thought of the distinction you raise, but perhaps the person I spoke to in that instance interpreted it as a potential closure. 

Message 5 of 9
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

I have an Amex Delta Gold that I don't use much. I have been planning for a while to downgrade it to Blue, to eliminate the AF. I put that plan on hold in 2021, when Amex instituted $10/mo credits for any restaurant purchases on the Gold. Those have now ended, so I'm trying to decide when to pull the trigger on the PC.

My AF posts in March (or maybe it's April?). I'm thinking if I wait until after it posts, I can call in to PC and have at least a small chance of getting a retention offer to keep the Gold. But if I'm wrong and they don't give retention offers on this card, then I would be slightly better off doing the PC now and getting a few months of prorated AF refunded. 

The dollars at stake are not huge, but I'm curious if anyone has advice on when I should do the PC. Any suggestions are welcome!

You won't get any Annual Fee munies back if you downgrade now. You only get AF refund if you downgrade during the 30 day clock that starts from when the AF posts. After that, you are in for the full year Annual Fee.

Best to wait till you see it post, then see what AMEX offers. That also allows some time if any creative credits are offered in 2022 on AMEX cards to possibly change your mind again.

And just to bring it up, you aren't ever going to fly Delta in 2022? Because the free checked bag is the easist cash back comparitive on this card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 9
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner: Did they offer you any retention bonus?

No, they didn't offer anything

Message 7 of 9
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Update: My AF is due to post early next month. I don't want this card to report a balance. If I knew I was going to keep the card, I could pre-pay the $99 before the AF posts, so it reports with $0 balance. But I don't love the idea of pre-paying the AF and then asking for a refund of it. So instead I hopped on Chat today and asked if there was an retention offer available to keep my Delta Gold. They offered 7,500 miles for $1k spend. I declined and proceeded with the PC to Delta Blue.

FWIW, the boilerplate message that appeared in the Chat window said I would receive a prorated refund of the unused portion of the Delta Gold's AF. That would be less than $10, so I'm not overly concerned about it, but if it happens, this would contradict one of the statements upthread. I always thought the rule was: Cancel after 30 days = no refund of AF. But PC down after 30 days = AF gets refunded on a prorated basis. We'll see.

Message 8 of 9
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

Amex just refunded me $6.23, which is exactly the prorated amount of the Delta Gold AF I didn't use. 

In other words, they do give prorated refunds of the AF in the case of a PC downgrade after the first 30 days.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.