Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To CLI or Not AMEX

tag
minimock
Frequent Contributor

To CLI or Not AMEX

Some advice for a new AMEX person. I am now at 90 days with my new AMEX Blue everyday.

I am running a 50% UTIL after a project and now am in pay down mode.

The AMEX is only 20% UTIL.

I passed up the 61 day mark, and really dont need the CLI, but it would help on overall UTIL. It will take me another 90 days to get back below 10% UTIL

Would you pull the CLI or leave it alone.......

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
nada9188
Frequent Contributor

Re: To CLI or Not AMEX

Personally I would give it a shot. Ask for 2x your cl, though some say do 3x, I would only do that if you had all of your utilizations set up properly.

Worst that happens is they say no and you get a soft pull only.

You've got nothing to lose!
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been denied 3 times.  Each time I had 0-5% util.  I think I'm at a cap based on my income though. 

Message 3 of 26
minimock
Frequent Contributor

Hmmm, I guess Im really afraid of the dreaded FR. If I needed it, the choice would be simple.

I guess not being in need, and bringing down some sort of adverse account action, I would have to kick my own self in the back end LOL

Message 4 of 26
FrugalRican
Blogger

@minimock wrote:

Hmmm, I guess Im really afraid of the dreaded FR.

I'm not dreaded.

BTW, I asked for a CLI and got denied. No FR.

I wouldn't worry at all about those. These forums will make you believe they happen all the time. They really don't.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 5 of 26
gettnthere
Established Contributor

PTR2593 if u don't mind me asking, how much is your income? I think, if u at least make 50k, your eligible for a 10k line. It could be somethin else holding u back from your CLI

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 26
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@minimock wrote:

Some advice for a new AMEX person. I am now at 90 days with my new AMEX Blue everyday.

I am running a 50% UTIL after a project and now am in pay down mode.

The AMEX is only 20% UTIL.

I passed up the 61 day mark, and really dont need the CLI, but it would help on overall UTIL. It will take me another 90 days to get back below 10% UTIL

Would you pull the CLI or leave it alone.......

Thanks for any input.

I always say yes! If the system says no, you can try again next month or two when you pay more down... but unless you have Util. up a bit and paid them $25 last month or something (Not sure your Min.) then I wouldn't worry about it... and ask for the 3x, system will counter... so no point in asking for less because you are at a higher util.... 

Message 7 of 26
bamagirl1
Established Contributor

I agree with CA & FR on this..If you were forthcoming with everything on your AMEX app, you have NO reason to worry about FR from Amex..

Good Luck with whatever you decide..

~01/2008 Ficos TU 571-EX 647-EQ 652~
~3/21/2009 Ficos TU 705 EX 702 EQ 692~
~9/9/09 Ficos TU 718 EQ 693 EX???
~06/25/12 Ficos TU 719 EQ 677 EX??
Message 8 of 26
FrugalRican
Blogger

Don't get overzealous though.

If you're making 30K with a 9.5K AMEX and you want that to be upped to 20K after having only spent 2K on it, don't be surprised if not only you don't get the CLI but don't get a counter offer.

That was my "mistake". But that mistake was only a SP, so, I'd prefer to call it a learning process.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 9 of 26
minimock
Frequent Contributor

@FrugalRican wrote:

Don't get overzealous though.

If you're making 30K with a 9.5K AMEX and you want that to be upped to 20K after having only spent 2K on it, don't be surprised if not only you don't get the CLI but don't get a counter offer.

That was my "mistake". But that mistake was only a SP, so, I'd prefer to call it a learning process.

No, I am way over 30K, and I was honest, and can back it up with returns if I had to...........

I guess you read about the horror stories all the time and it makes you pause LOL

Ok, well is the phone or the website better to do it by?

Thanks for all the input Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.