Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Today was the day, FR from AMEX.

tag
core
Valued Contributor

Re: Today was the day, FR from AMEX.

@Anonymous wrote:

They said I shouldn't use personal cards for business. I don't have any business cards with AMEX, just personal accounts. It was 3 large business transactions between another company (about 3k) on my blue, so I guess that triggered it. I never thought it would cause problems! I now know to just use my business debit card from now on.

Hrmmm.  $3k of total charges on an $18k limit is nothing.  This is odd.  And charges from "another company" also doesn't seem relevant because almost ALL charges on everyone's cards come from a company.  If you bought a bunch of stuff from Bob's Pro-Plumbing Supplies, Amex has no way of knowing whether you're a business or just a homeowner that walked in there and got the owner to sell to him.  Same deal with a few truckloads of gravel or anything else I can think of.  Unless you're buying from a plutonium supplier or something I just don't see how they would know either way.

I think you let on too early that these were business expenses and that may have caused the phone call to go in another direction but wasn't the root cause perhaps.  Now you won't earn rewards on those future purchases.  You probably would have been fine just keeping quiet about what the purchase was ultimately for.

Strange that they only asked for a couple bank statements.  Like that proves much.  What if you had 10+ different bank accounts in constant use, and your income doesn't even go into your bank accounts, but rather investment accounts?  What if you have your company pay you quarterly?  It kinda bothers me when companies assume everyone must manage their finances the exact same way.  I'd almost rather have a "real" FR.

Message 11 of 54
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, very interesting.  Please keep us posted.  Sounds like they want us to frame it and hang it on the wall! Smiley LOL  I didn't use mine this month at all.  Used a few others and they just keep sending me emails to use "more".  Never problems like this with any of the others.  Chase, Barclay, Citi, Cap One, etc.  All are fantastic.

And this is exactly why diversification is so crucial! I'll never give one company that much control over my credit! I will always make sure I'm diversified across SEVERAL lenders.

I refuse to revolve a balance with Amex. I use them has a charge card period.

Message 12 of 54
dethkultur
Contributor

Yeah that's odd, although I have heard Amex has a hair trigger of cutting your access if your expenses go up, whether it is on their card or not.

On the account section of the website, it has a place where you can "inform" them you are going to make a big purchase, to get "preapproved" for the harge or something. I've used it to make big purchases ($2000) at CVS or Target before, and it has avoided problems where I would get a fraud alert previously. I wonder if that may have helped avoid this issue if you had tried it.

Message 13 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@core wrote:

Strange that they only asked for a couple bank statements.  Like that proves much.  What if you had 10+ different bank accounts in constant use, and your income doesn't even go into your bank accounts, but rather investment accounts?  What if you have your company pay you quarterly?  It kinda bothers me when companies assume everyone must manage their finances the exact same way.  I'd almost rather have a "real" FR.

Right, when I was doing a mortgage refinance, the broker told me to send in bank statements from the account that had the fewest transactions (to avoid/simplify questions)

So not exactly a thorough review there either!

Message 14 of 54
NY2014
Established Contributor

I am sorry to say what triggered your FR,  one member actually brought it up , ( You exposed yourself ) I know amex regarding personal and business atthe time i was a memeber back in 90's but my membership only goes far as 2005, (Just aged myself)  my business expenses are only used for businesses/ and personal for personal, they are very sensitive in that matter,but it stills cloudy why request your bank statements,? Unless they want to tie your card with your bank account on your green Amex set limit ? .. is the only reason i see why they asked.. keep us posted 

You'll be OK because you did comply with there request .. 

Fico Score 10/6 EQ 702,16 INQ,TU 740, 9,iNQ EX 705,21 INQ,13%UTIL-
,10 yrs history,1.6 yr AA Cap1 Plat,VentureOne,QS ,Barckey RCI, BBVA,Amex BCE,CSP,NFCU Flag, NFCU Go,NFCU,Cloc NFCU busin,NFCU busin Cloc,Amex Delta busn,Bj's busn Perks,Hawaiian air busin, Citi dc, Discover IT,Chase Hyatt,U.S bank flex perks.,Am,ex Business Plat JCP. Commercial, citi Hilton
Message 15 of 54
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

I am guessing what caused this is your stated income is less that what you charged per month and paid off per month..  Is this true?  This is a sure way to get a FR from amex if you charges exceed you stated take home income per month and paid in full each month..  Gotta wonder where the extra money is coming from..  Just my thoughts on it.  This could be where the business/personal comment came from.. Weird how they aren't doing a full blown 4506-t FR on you just two bank statements.

Message 16 of 54
sandsanta
Contributor

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They said I shouldn't use personal cards for business. I don't have any business cards with AMEX, just personal accounts. It was 3 large business transactions between another company (about 3k) on my blue, so I guess that triggered it. I never thought it would cause problems! I now know to just use my business debit card from now on.

Hrmmm.  $3k of total charges on an $18k limit is nothing.  This is odd.  And charges from "another company" also doesn't seem relevant because almost ALL charges on everyone's cards come from a company.  If you bought a bunch of stuff from Bob's Pro-Plumbing Supplies, Amex has no way of knowing whether you're a business or just a homeowner that walked in there and got the owner to sell to him.  Same deal with a few truckloads of gravel or anything else I can think of.  Unless you're buying from a plutonium supplier or something I just don't see how they would know either way.

I think you let on too early that these were business expenses and that may have caused the phone call to go in another direction but wasn't the root cause perhaps.  Now you won't earn rewards on those future purchases.  You probably would have been fine just keeping quiet about what the purchase was ultimately for.

Its not odd if they suspect you own/are affiliated with the company you bought items from.  

Message 17 of 54
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@sandsanta wrote:

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Its not odd if they suspect you own/are affiliated with the company you bought items from.  

My business has no ties to my name as I do business under a "legal entity" 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 18 of 54
red259
Super Contributor

I'm confused here. How do they know what is business expenses and what is not? 3k of an 18k line doesn't seem like it should set amex off. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 19 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, very interesting.  Please keep us posted.  Sounds like they want us to frame it and hang it on the wall! Smiley LOL  I didn't use mine this month at all.  Used a few others and they just keep sending me emails to use "more".  Never problems like this with any of the others.  Chase, Barclay, Citi, Cap One, etc.  All are fantastic.

And this is exactly why diversification is so crucial! I'll never give one company that much control over my credit! I will always make sure I'm diversified across SEVERAL lenders.

I refuse to revolve a balance with Amex. I use them has a charge card period.

Me too!  Never have and never will.  Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.