Rogue46
Established Contributor

Re: Too many credit cards?

Yeah wow 80 cards would melt my brain trying to keep track of them all

Message 21 of 54
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:  @Anonymous   How do you keep track of +80 cards, and do you check them daily?

@Rogue46 wrote:   Yeah wow 80 cards would melt my brain trying to keep track of them all

Not to steal his thunder @Yasselife and @Rogue46  but @Anonymous has posted several times about his method.  Yes, it's more of a "hobby" for him and he has a very disciplined way of keeping all the cards in usage.  He also has some higher spend from his personal business dealings which are partly the reason for the high number of cards and total credit limits. 

He has said that he uses a ledger-style system to track it all, and that it does require some extra work and focus to juggle it all.  He rotates through his cards on almost a daily basis and I believe they all get at least one charge a month.  But he apparently enjoys it!  

He posted about it HERE among other places.  At the time he started this thread (May 2020), he "only" had 42 cards.  Smiley Tongue

I find it interesting but to me, I would never want to manage that many cards.  The 21 that I have now is more than I've ever had and more than I really want to keep in the long-term.   We all have to decide how much we choose to manage. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 22 of 54
Yasselife
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High 
thank you. I was seeking advice because this is a hobby of mine too. Mint app makes it easy for me to track; it's the management of usage what intrigues me. I should have looked for that type of topic instead. 
@mark I want you to know I'm a fan of yours 😄

Goal card:
Message 23 of 54
RSX
Valued Contributor

i have more cards than i want, but am able to manage them and put spend on all pretty regularly

one strategy for keeping on top of them, is to have multiple from each lender

for example a daily checkup at Chase means i can check 3 cards in one login - amazon - marriot - united

so that is one way to help keep on top of multiples

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 24 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

To make up some random stats (and then claim they are scientifically proved):  my guess is that for most people, 10 cards will achieve at least 90% of the benefit of any larger number of cards.  (The wiggle room is for, e.g. really frequent but non-loyal travellers, who use different airlines and hotels, and thus "need" more airline/hotel cards)

Message 25 of 54
FalconSteve
Valued Contributor

Closing cards will lowering your score by lowering your average age of accounts, lower lower credit limit, andincrease your utilization percentage.

Unless there is an annual fee, NEVER close a card. If there is a fee, see if they will do a product change to a no AF product. Just don't use the card. Keep every card active by auto-billpaying $1 ever 6 months and let them mail it back.

1/8/17 Discover $18300 CL- $1k SL- AU, wife
1/26/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $35k CL, wife
2/19/20 BB&T/Truist Rewards $11k SL- impulse application
2/22/20 Citi Double Cash WEMC $2.9k-->$4.4k-->$8.4k-->$13.4k-->$17.4k-->$19.4k-->$22.4k AU, wife
3/8/20 Wells Fargo Propel AmEx/Autograph VISA $2900-->$3200-->$5000-->$8800-->$13k CL- AU, wife
3/9/20 Truist Rewards $11k SL- AU, wife- impulse app
3/21/20 REDcard MasterCard (TD Bank) $2500-->$6000-->$6500 CL
11/24/20 AmEx Cash Magnet $10k SL-->36hr-->$20k-->$35k CL
6/10/21 SoFi World Elite MC $7000 SL
1/19/22 AppleCard/GS $6k-->$10k-->$11k-->$12k AU, wife
8/15/22 Chase freedom flex $10.3k SL-->$12.5k-->$15k-->$19k AU, wife
7/5/23 Lowes/Synchrony $4k-->$10k-->same day-->$35k CL
8/2/23 Chase freedom flex $19k --> $22.8k-->24.3k CL
8/2/23 Discover $8k SL
Message 26 of 54
Aim_High
Super Contributor

The major pros and cons of closing cards has been covered above.  Personally, I'm a believer in putting some thought into closing a card, but there are definitely times to do it.  Since we can only grow our new accounts and credit limits at a pace controlled by our lender's standards, I choose to be careful in closing any cards that I've taken time (and hard inquiries) to open.  

Considering the impact of utilization if someone is carrying balances is probably the most important issue.  But also consider the loss of a highest CL, an oldest card (since there is no guarantee a card will stay on a report for 10 years), or lost opportunities such as the ability to product change or to take advantage of BT offers in the future. 

I periodically rank-order my cards by major attributes and consider what they are contributing to my finances and FICO.   I consider age, credit limits, APRs, fees, card perks, lender diversity, rewards, payment networks, as well as overall satisfaction with customer service, fraud support, and technology (web/mobile app).    Some cards contribute in many areas but making a list makes it evident that some have little value.  The last time I closed multiple cards was a few years ago after I paid off several cards with balance transfers or promotional APRs that were no longer useful.  For another example, I usually recommend closing older starter cards that have AFs or unfavorable terms after one of our members builds better credit. 

On the plus side of downsizing, there is a cost to managing idle or non-useful cards, mainly in terms of time and fraud exposure.  If they aren't needed and won't adversely affect overall profile, there's certainly no reason to keep cards open that have become obsolete.   However, as @RSX pointed out, having multiple cards with one lender or at the same place where one has deposit accounts makes monitoring idle accounts fairly easy. 

@longtimelurkerhas a valid point in that the "law of diminishing returns" often applies as more cards are added.  Some of our members enjoy the "hobby" aspect of collecting, truly need the sheer total amount of credit for regular spend, or enjoy fully optimizing rewards even as the incremental gains begin to drop-off.  For all of us "credit enthusiasts", there comes a point when we have to decide what is "enough" between simplicity and complexity.  That point may be three cards, five cards, ten cards, 81 cards.  We all get to pick what is best for us. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 27 of 54
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

Closing an account *might* affect your "relationship" with the bank. I am not sure if I understand this correctly, but for example, if I close my Barclays card, it will sever my ties with Barclays. And Barclays, as a lender, seems to be value exposure with them very much. When I applied with them, my starting limit was based on my "relationship/exposure" with them.

Message 28 of 54
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FalconSteve wrote:

Closing cards will lowering your score by lowering your average age of accounts, lower lower credit limit, andincrease your utilization percentage.

Unless there is an annual fee, NEVER close a card. If there is a fee, see if they will do a product change to a no AF product. Just don't use the card. Keep every card active by auto-billpaying $1 ever 6 months and let them mail it back.

Way too strong IMO!   Some cards aren't worth the effort of keeping (those with very low CLs and indifferent rewards for example).   You have to look out for changing terms and at least sometimes look out for fraud.   Some issuers either officially or de facto have limits on the number of their cards that you have, keeping a useless one might prevent you from getting a better one (and you cannot always PC).  Plus the "trivial charge every few months" doesn't always work, e.g. for some of us with Capital One.

You really don't need to keep every little bit of total credit limit and every little bit of average age of account.   Just like an 850 score doesn't usually get you more than an 800 or 750, adding to something already good doesn't do much.

Since I am not yet in charge (Jan 7 2027 being the date) for now the rule is: keep cards if you want to keep them, feel free to discard cards if you want to, it won't make much difference.   Things will be "clearer" Jan 8 2027!

Message 29 of 54
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

To make up some random stats (and then claim they are scientifically proved):  my guess is that for most people, 10 cards will achieve at least 90% of the benefit of any larger number of cards.  (The wiggle room is for, e.g. really frequent but non-loyal travellers, who use different airlines and hotels, and thus "need" more airline/hotel cards)

I think I'd cut that in half frankly more like 5 cards is 97% or even 99%.

Really the only advantage more provides credit wise after 5+ years or so, is buffering credit changes... but after a while you stop making them rationally unless you just are in hobby territory.  

This pandemic sort of is case in point for me after years of credit expansion: April 2020 mortgage, May 2020 AOD because yeah, godlike especially for me now... and that's it.  19 months without a new tradeline though I had a few inquiries like the mortgage pre-approval I needed to show the builder here in Raleigh.  What use credit even, let alone more tradelines?

Realistically short of a 3.5% or better default spender (at $0 AF so easy math) I can't see really opening any more rationally; people SUB chasing notwithstanding, there I suspect some additional padding that isn't part of the churn probably helps.

        
Message 30 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.