Did you mean: 

Too many credit cards?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Too many credit cards?

@Junejer wrote:

@red259 wrote:

If you want to close cards go ahead and close them if you have a thick enough file. You should at least have a couple cards open and it helps if you have a large enough credit line that your monthly credit util stays fairly low. I would never advocate keeping an AF card if it didn't have a use for you. I rarely close no-AF cards. I like to keep them open for the credit util. The exception is when I have a lender that limits the total number of cards I can have and in that case I will shut a no-AF card if I need the card slot. If someone isn't comfortable having a whole bunch of credit cards it is ok to close some of them out.

This. In my former life, as a young banker, I was instructed several times to demand that clients close credit cards when they wanted a HEL to consolidate CC debt. I wonder how much damage we did to people's credit files unawares.

Yes, but from a bank POV, that makes perfect sense, decrease the ability to increase debt again after payoff.

Message 41 of 54
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

@red259 wrote:

If you want to close cards go ahead and close them if you have a thick enough file. You should at least have a couple cards open and it helps if you have a large enough credit line that your monthly credit util stays fairly low. I would never advocate keeping an AF card if it didn't have a use for you. I rarely close no-AF cards. I like to keep them open for the credit util. The exception is when I have a lender that limits the total number of cards I can have and in that case I will shut a no-AF card if I need the card slot. If someone isn't comfortable having a whole bunch of credit cards it is ok to close some of them out.

This. In my former life, as a young banker, I was instructed several times to demand that clients close credit cards when they wanted a HEL to consolidate CC debt. I wonder how much damage we did to people's credit files unawares.

Yes, but from a bank POV, that makes perfect sense, decrease the ability to increase debt again after payoff.

^^^ +1

Bank's version of finance over Fico.

Message 42 of 54
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Kforce wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

@red259 wrote:

^^^ +1

Bank's version of finance over Fico.

I get it, just looking at it from the consumer side. If a bank told me that today, I'd tell them to pound sand.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 43 of 54
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Yasselife wrote:   @Aim_High   I wish I could PC my USAA since it's one of my oldest. I agree with your point, I want to know what you would do in my situation, card is 1.5% with high apr. I will stick to banks that allow PC while moving forward 

That's one of my pet peeves, among others, about USAA @Yasselife.  Until I divorced a few years ago and my old USAA card got caught in the crossfire since it was a joint account, it had been my oldest account by about another five years over that Discovercard.  (ergo, my advice about keeping multiple older cards open.)   My Ex would have been fine dividing our joint cards, but USAA was adamantly opposed to doing anything except closure.  (We had other lenders that allowed cards to be kept intact.)  That, along with hard pulls for CLI, no opportunity for product change, and even no opportunity for an APR adjustment WITH agreeing to a hard pull after a card is approved are among the reasons I don't often recommend their cards.  They are just very rigid over customer policies and don't lead the industry in any area.  I closed my old "Rate Advantage" (joint) and opened a new one but my scores were down since I was carrying debt.  Therefore, I didn't get the lowest rate and now have several cards with not only a lower APR but also that pay rewards!  For awhile, it was my highest CL at $35K however, and did some usage early-on.  But I literally haven't swiped it in years.  I also have banking accounts and insurance with them, so they've allowed it to stay open with no activity. 

So I would ask a few questions in your case.  What are the ages of your current cards?  What are the credit limits?  And do you have other relationship with USAA beyond the credit card?   If your situation is like mine, you may be able to leave it open without a lot of work.   I don't think USAA is known for closing or CLD-ing cards that aren't used, unlike some other lenders are known to do.

Meanwhile, your 1.5% rewards on that card isn't great, but it's also not really bad for an uncategorized cash-back rate.  (I've said several times recently on various threads that I believe the industry is a LOT closer to the 1.5% cashback standard than the 2%, even though it's moved more in that direction in recent years.)  Putting a little minor spend on it periodically isn't too much of a rewards sacrifice.  Compared to your Citi Double Cash at 2%, that 1/2% difference is only $1 if you run up $200 in charges one month.  Not even enough for a cup of coffee.   Plus, it's lender diversity, so that is worth something as well.  Maybe they will change some of these restrictive policies or reopen applications for the Limitless Cash Back (2.5%) card, which was a pretty good deal.  

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 44 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many CC's are too many?

Message 45 of 54
TheRealOne

I too chose to close 3 cards this week and 3 cards last year. 
I've gained better cards. The ultimate goal is to have a max of 5 cards. Bouncing back from a BK is hard, we open those cards to help us establish. Once U are sufficiently established, why keep them. Keep that first one and do what U will with the others. In 5 years U wont regret it. 

Message 46 of 54
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

General rule of thumb I try to use is to not open any card that doesn't help me in the long term beyond the SUB period.

If I end up where I can't get approved for a card that will help me I don't get anything at all.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 47 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NC84  I don't believe you can have too many credit cards. But I do think you can have too much debt. So in other words, it's what you do with the cards that matter. I recommend to never close an account.

Message 48 of 54
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@NC84  I don't believe you can have too many credit cards. But I do think you can have too much debt. So in other words, it's what you do with the cards that matter. I recommend to never close an account.

If a card's annual fee exceeds its value to you, then it might be a candidate for closure.  Also, each person has his/her own tolerance for maintaining accounts.  When I hit the 16 credit card account mark, I found that I didn't enjoy the chore of the upkeep on that many cards.  I'm now down to 12, and am much happier with that workload.  All my accounts are paid in full each month, so no carried debt at all.

Oct 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 37 yrs | AoYRA: less than 1 yr | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 2/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 49 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NoHardLimits  I agree. Whatever is comfortable for you is the best path to take.

Message 50 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.