Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trigger AMEX SP?

tag
Neutron
New Contributor

Trigger AMEX SP?

Been itching to get a CLI and a new card from AMEX.  Over the last 30 days I've raised my scores by 150+ pts by paying down some balances and having a few negatives removed.  My Fico Bankcard 8 is currently in the high 790s and all other scores are there or above for the most part.   I'm feeling pretty confident about the situation, however, I've read on here that AMEX will use their most recent soft pull when considering apps.  My score yesterday was 70pts lower than it is today.  So, is there a way to trigger AMEX to make a new soft pull?  Or do I have to wait until they randomly decide to do one on their own to have them consider my current score?  If I have to wait, what is the best way to see when they last pulled my Experian report?  I don't see soft pull inquiries listed anywhere on Experian like I do on my Equifax reports. 

I've been in the garden for about 18 months and I'm champing at the bit to start a CLI and new card spree.  These last few days have been toture!!  I appreciate any info you can provide.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Re: Trigger AMEX SP?

Hey @Neutron

First, CONGRATS on the credit repair!

"So, is there a way to trigger AMEX to make a new soft pull?" - No, AMEX will do their SP's on their own cycles, and there is nothing I'm aware of that can force them to do an off-cycle consumer SP.

"Or do I have to wait until they randomly decide to do one on their own to have them consider my current score?" - Yes, not only this, you should wait for 1-2/weeks post SP for AMEX to use the updated EX FICO 8 score. AMEX's internal scoring system takes some time to update to the score we see as consumers. If you apply too early (within that 1-2/week) cycle, AMEX could use the prior month's EX FICO 8 score, and you will be SOL. I read somewhere that AMEX won't even HP on consumer's requests and will inform the customer to wait until next month to re-apply if denied.

"If I have to wait, what is the best way to see when they last pulled my Experian report?" - IIRC 1-2/weeks post-AMEX's EX FICO 8 update should 99.9% yield accurate results.

"I don't see soft pull inquiries listed anywhere on Experian as I do on my Equifax reports." - I cannot help you here. AMEX should be SP'ing your EX report like clockwork. So long you see those updates inside the AMEX website IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about what you see on the EX side.

Message 2 of 9
Neutron
New Contributor

Thank you.  Somewhat disappointing, but very informative.  I guess the AMEX moves will be put on hold for a more few weeks.  Follow-up question:  Do all creditors that do soft pulls operate in the same fashion as AMEX by using their most recent inquiry?  Or will some do a new soft pull when you hit that love button?  Will my Lowes, NFCU, and Discover be using dated information if I apply for CLI today?

I believe this one is an obvious answer, but if I apply for a card at a new bank, the report they pull will be up-to-date as of the moment they pull it, correct?

Message 3 of 9
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

No problem @Neutron

"Do all creditors that do soft pulls operate in the same fashion as AMEX by using their most recent inquiry?" - IIRC it's a YEMV. I haven't encountered any off the top of my head.

"Will my Lowes, NFCU, and Discover be using dated information if I apply for CLI today?" - Great question, to be candid, I believe NFCU does an instant TU SP. My reasoning behind this would be because NFCU doesn't provide TU scores but instead EQ FICO 9 scores. So unless they're keeping a backlog of TU FICO 8/9 scores that consumers cannot see I'm going to assume it's a instant TU SP. I do not bank with SYNC Lowe's (SYNC depending on the card has different approval protocols) or Discover so I cannot confidently answer to those institutions. I would assume they're doing an instant SP for approval odds though. That is just from reading through posts I haven't seen another poster speak on backdated approval information.

"I believe this one is an obvious answer, but if I apply for a card at a new bank, the report they pull will be up-to-date as of the moment they pull it, correct?" - Yes, they will be pulling a "snapshot" of your credit report from which ever bureau they choose.

*There is a massive NFCU data points thread you should read before applying for a CLI with them. I'm on my mobile device right now and cannot easily link it. Search "Navy Federal Credit Union Data Points" and it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Neutron wrote:

Thank you.  Somewhat disappointing, but very informative.  I guess the AMEX moves will be put on hold for a more few weeks.  Follow-up question:  Do all creditors that do soft pulls operate in the same fashion as AMEX by using their most recent inquiry?  Or will some do a new soft pull when you hit that love button?  Will my Lowes, NFCU, and Discover be using dated information if I apply for CLI today?

I believe this one is an obvious answer, but if I apply for a card at a new bank, the report they pull will be up-to-date as of the moment they pull it, correct?

You can pull your crsdit reports weekly, for free (no scores), from annual credit report. They are the most comprehemsive credit reports around and each include lists of SPs. It should show "account review" and "American Express" (or something like that) and give the dates. This is free to do weekly tbrough 4/2021.

Like others mentioned, best to wait a couple extra weeks to make sure that SP is in their system. It may not be instantaneously uploaded once SP's.

Because CLIs are near-instant. Yes, creditors usually use their review SP's to make a decision.

Apping for new vredit will be a new HP, but will not force current creditors to update their info.

You have made it this far and I know one can get itchy when you are so close, but it will pay off much more to be patient a little longer.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great job @Neutron  on  fixing your creditSmiley Happy. Just remember that scores are nice and all but arent the only factor in getting approved. You could have 800's and still be denied. Lenders will look at your income, debt, age of credit, etc so as exciting as this is, before spreeing make sure you really think about the cards you want and understand what each lender looks for and uses, and take in to account the Covid era. Best of luckSmiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@TheFIGuy wrote:

*There is a massive NFCU data points thread you should read before applying for a CLI with them. I'm on my mobile device right now and cannot easily link it. Search "Navy Federal Credit Union Data Points" and it shouldn't be too hard to find.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Navy-Federal-Thread-for-CLI-and-Additional...

Message 7 of 9
BetterMoves
Regular Contributor

@Neutron wrote:

I don't see soft pull inquiries listed anywhere on Experian like I do on my Equifax reports. 

When I look at my report on Experian.com, I do not see soft inquiries. But when I order full report through AnnualCreditReport.com (free weekly through April) I see all soft inquiries, so that may be the way to go.

Be advised, sometimes when I do try to order through ACR, Experian seems to have a problem verifying my address or other system-generated errors, so I just wait a day or two and try again with no problem.

Wells Fargo Active Cash
Discover it Chrome
Amazon Prime Store (Synchrony)
Walmart Store Card (Capital One)
Citi Costco Anywhere
American Express Blue Cash Preferred
American Express Hilton Honors Surpass
American Express Gold
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BetterMoves wrote:

@Neutron wrote:

I don't see soft pull inquiries listed anywhere on Experian like I do on my Equifax reports. 

When I look at my report on Experian.com, I do not see soft inquiries. But when I order full report through AnnualCreditReport.com (free weekly through April) I see all soft inquiries, so that may be the way to go.

Be advised, sometimes when I do try to order through ACR, Experian seems to have a problem verifying my address or other system-generated errors, so I just wait a day or two and try again with no problem.

Experian.com does not show them. I can only find SPs for all 3 CRs via annual credit report.

I have had trouble a couple times before, too, but always able to get through at some point. For the most part it is a non-issue.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.