Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with CITI Text verification! HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trouble with CITI Text verification! HELP

I just received my new Citi Card!

I tried to use it but was declined.  I called and went through long process and they said they need to send text verification to phone on file!

I gave them my number and they said they need to send to a phone with my last name.  **bleep** is that suppose to mean?

Where can i get this fixed. Please help Citi is being a pain right now!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trouble with CITI Text verification! HELP

Is your phone number registered to someone else's name ?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didnt even know phone numbers get registered.

I opened up my cell phone line if thats what you mean.

How do you register a cell pone?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know this isn't very helpful, but your experience sounds similar to my experience.

Citi uses some service that *somehow* attempts to tie a name and a cell phone number together.  I don't know how that service works or where they are getting their data...maybe they are getting data from the wireless providers?  But anyway, that service (in my experience) has been completely unreliable.  My experience with them has been frustrating, to say the least.

1. I received my card.  Tried to make a purchase, declined.
  2. Called Citi, was told I needed to verify my identity by having a text message delivered to a cell phone registered to me.
  3. Gave them my cell phone number, they said they couldn't match it to my name.  Ugh.
  4. They told me I'd have to wait for a verification letter to arrive in the mail.
  5. Received the verification letter two weeks later, filled it out, spent $20 to express mail it back to them.
  6. Didn't hear anything for a week, called the Citi EO.  They told me verification was completed, and my card should work.
  7. Tried to use the card, declined.
  8. Called EO again, they told me I had to wait for a NEW verification letter.
  9. Received it two weeks later, this letter wanted a front/back copy of my Social Security card, along with a signed SSA-89 form.
  10. Spent ANOTHER $20 to express mail all the requested documents back to them.
  11. Called the EO a week later, was told that verification was still in progress.
  12. Called the EO two weeks later, was told that verification was still in progress.
  13. Called the EO three weeks later, was told that verification should be completed any day now!
  14. Called the EO four weeks later, finally told that verification was successful.
  15. FINALLY able to use the card.  It only took 10 weeks of aggravation.

I understand that they need to verify the customer's identity before allowing purchases, but why not do that BEFORE approving the application?  So frustrating.

Message 4 of 8
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

I think what water88 means -- is your cell phone in your name or someone else's name. A CCC wants to send the text Verification to the cell number that's in your name.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

By any chance are you on a family plan?  If so, then even if you went to the store and opened up your cell account, it might be registered to whoever the family plan belongs to overall.

Message 6 of 8
stellar
Established Contributor

Message 7 of 8
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I had a hell of time dealing with Citi when I moved.  They told me the same thing, that my cell phone number that is in my name and had been for 15 years wasn't mine.  I went around and around with them for almost two months before I finally had to have them call Chase while I was on the line with them and have Chase verify my new address with them.  All because they flagged a moving truck as a possible fraudulent charge five days after I called them and told them I was moving.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.