Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Understand Commerce Bank

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trying to Understand Commerce Bank

I was bored and applied for one of their specialty credit cards and got approved for $15k.  There are a few things I don't understand and hopefully some other forum members cab offer guidance.

1.  I think I heard that $15k is the max on their specialty cards.  That means I have no hopes for a CLI ever, right?

2.  How is Commerce Bank if you apply a couple of months down the road for a new card?  Anybody have any idea on what their maximum exposure is?  

3.  I do not live in their footprint.  As such, even though I have one of their credt cards does that mean I can not apply for a checking account?  Is it possible to apply in-branch but have an out-of-footprint address?

Something about Commerce Bank strikes me as refreshing.  Other banks send me e-mail reminding me of the benefits of their cards, but Commerce sends them simply saying, "We are happy you chose us and we are happy we chose you, too."  That's kind of nice.  Seems like they really care.  At least they put on a good act.  It's refreshing.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Trying to Understand Commerce Bank

I'm from the old Commerce bank area...
They were bought out/merged into TD bank about 8 or 9 years ago.

Nowadays, Republic Banks are popping up, and I believe the guy who founded Commerce Bank is leading that expansion.

The old Commerce Banks were about convenience & customer service.
Never had anything serious with them, though, as they merged into TD when I was about 20 & in college.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm from the old Commerce bank area...
They were bought out/merged into TD bank about 8 or 9 years ago.

Nowadays, Republic Banks are popping up, and I believe the guy who founded Commerce Bank is leading that expansion.

The old Commerce Banks were about convenience & customer service.
Never had anything serious with them, though, as they merged into TD when I was about 20 & in college.

This Commerce Bank?

https://www.commercebank.com

Message 3 of 12
Hex
Valued Contributor

I think there are multiple Commerce Banks. And If I recall correctly one offers the Garfield the Cat Credit Card- but unfortunately not the one near my house in MA. Smiley Sad
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hex wrote:
I think there are multiple Commerce Banks. And If I recall correctly one offers the Garfield the Cat Credit Card- but unfortunately not the one near my house in MA. Smiley Sad

Yes!  I'm dealing with the Garfield the Cat bank.  Smiley Very Happy

I wonder if you can have more more than one of their non-footprint cards.  Like Garfield and then their Zoo card.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my. That's not my grand-daddy's Commerce Bank. o.O

Hmm, multiple banks with the same name...what could go wrong?
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Oh my. That's not my grand-daddy's Commerce Bank. o.O

Hmm, multiple banks with the same name...what could go wrong?

I imagine Commerce Bank can be a somewhat common name.

My favorite is Commerce Bank of Beverly Hills.  Milburn Drysdale.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Possible to get 2 Commerce Bank co-branded cards?

Is it possible to get more than 1 co-branded card from Commerce Bank?

I've heard the maximum is $15,000 for a card.  Could that be $15,000 on each of two?

Message 8 of 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Possible to get 2 Commerce Bank co-branded cards?

I’m not 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure you can have more than one. IIRC, there was someone who had 2 and then got another one recently. You might search the Commerce Bank threads. Good luck!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 9 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Possible to get 2 Commerce Bank co-branded cards?

Yes, you can have as many as they can approve you for, but they all pretty much offer the same tiered reward program. I used to have 4, but consolidated them to just 2 CCs.

If you're not in their footprint area they typically can limit the cap to $25K for all combined CCs.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.