Did you mean: 

Trying to escape toy card h*ll!!!

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Trying to escape toy card h*ll!!!

Three things affect the revolving portion of your score:

• Overall utilization
  • Individual card utilization, which is determined by the card that has the highest utilization
  • Number/percentage of cards reporting a balance

Overall utilization is the most important. It's unclear which of the other two is more important.

28.9% or below is considered "responsible borrowing." It's going to keep you out of trouble with lenders, and it's generally considered to be the second best scoring tier. 8.9% or below usually optimizes one's scoring, but some have reported dings for exceeding approximately 5%. That's why I suggested a very low balance on a single card. It takes the mystery out of the equation.

After achieving AZEO with a very low balance, one can play around a bit to see what can be gotten away with, e.g. a second card with a positive balance or somewhat higher utilization. If there's no score ding, you're fine. If there's a slight score ding, you might find that to be acceptable. If you play around and there's a bigger ding than you'd like, simply know that it can be fixed the next month.

Sometimes advice seems to conflict because it's tailored to the individuals asking particular questions. Oftentimes, they're trying to pay off a lot of debt and achieve a scoring gain as quickly as possible. When there isn't enough money to pay down debt entirely, advice is often centered on what's achievable quickly.

Message 21 of 23
sobetrader
Valued Member

Great response, thanks for your insight.

Starting Score: 477
Current Score: 629
Goal Score: 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 22 of 23
sobetrader
Valued Member

Oddly enough today in the mail I received a letter from Target stating they were raising my cl, this is the first time I have ever received a cl increase without asking.

Starting Score: 477
Current Score: 629
Goal Score: 680

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.