Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Bank Connect scenario

tag
akaFettHutt
Regular Contributor

US Bank Connect scenario

When the 1st yr anniversary happened on 9/20 and the AF posted I pc'd to the Go expecting the AF to be waived but the phone rep today said that is not the case. I came across the same scenario with the Chase S P with 1st yr AF being waived. So when the AF posted I pc'd to F U and the fee was waived.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: US Bank Connect scenario

I've read on this forum a lot that you should wait for the AF to post, and then cancel.  I don't agree with that.  I think you should cancel/close (just) before the AF hits.   

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 7
Beefy1212
Established Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

I've read on this forum a lot that you should wait for the AF to post, and then cancel.  I don't agree with that.  I think you should cancel/close (just) before the AF hits.   

That's what I did with my BCP PC'd on the Nov 2nd when my anniversary date is nov 3rd.

At the time I wasn't using the card at all and specifically stated lack of use and I was interested in a feature the BCE had (3% online) rather than avoiding paying the AF (This was weeks after the BCE update).

I know Amex and chase are not USB but I suspect a big part in how this conversation goes depends on whether you get charged a fee, suffer bonus claw backs etc. No one wants to feel like they got taken advantage of and telling a bank rep that essentially you just wanted to squeeze the bank for what you could might be not in your favor... Not saying that is what OP did.

saying something along the lines of another card is giving me better gas rewards and I could really use a dinning card instead implies yes you are moving your business elsewhere but want to bring them new spend as well.

It comes across a lot better than hey you had a great sub but now I want to avoid fees.

Message 3 of 7
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

I converted Connect to Cash+ some months ago. When the AF got posted, I called and did the PC. I was told to pay the AF and it will get reimbursed. I got the reimbursement within ~1-2 billing cycles. 

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 4 of 7
NoHardLimits
Established Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

I converted Connect to Cash+ some months ago. When the AF got posted, I called and did the PC. I was told to pay the AF and it will get reimbursed. I got the reimbursement within ~1-2 billing cycles. 

I also product changed Altitude Connect to Cash+ earlier this year.  It took 56 days from the PC date until I received my annual fee reimbursement.  If you want to read about other members' experiences, read through this thread:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/US-Bank-Connect-PC-Experience/td-p/6538249 

August 2024 Scorecard: Clean, Thick, Mature, New Revolver
FICO8:
FICO9:
VantageScore3:
Inquiries (n/12, n/24):
AAoA: 11 yrs | AoORA: 37 yrs | AoYRA: less than 1 yr | New Accounts: 1/6, 1/12, 3/24 | Util: 1% | DTI: 1%
Message 5 of 7
akaFettHutt
Regular Contributor

So I paid the AF on the due date of 10/16 and was reimbursed on 10/18. Life is good!

Message 6 of 7
akaFettHutt
Regular Contributor

So I paid the AF on the due date of 10/16 and was reimbursed on 10/18. Life is good!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.