Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Recon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Recon?

Ask for Executive Relations. 

I've never had any real problems, but one time there was some serious confusion and ER stepped in and cleared things up really fast.

Message 11 of 28
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Executive Resolutions will get you nowhere fast, they cannot override underwriting. They stick with underwritings decision. USAA does not recon.

And you can't speak with an underwriter. Whenever people ask me for underwriting I usually transfer to ERT. And no way no how is ERT transferring anyone to underwriting.

Fact is USAA does not recon. You can keep calling, and unless you get a noob you are not going to get a recon... even then you won't get a recon.

Message 12 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, it looks like I shot myself in the foot. I should have stopped while I was ahead, even if it was just a little bit. I just wanted a cc w/a decent limit - even $1 to 2K would have made me happy. As I was reading more posts on USAA this afternoon, it appears they're not so easy to get and work with as I had thought. I must have confused them with another bank/cu.

I got an inquiry on my EQ for nothing. Oh, well. I'll just work with what I have until next year.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 13 of 28
barbaralee
Established Contributor

No harm, no foul. I wouldn't sweat it.

Message 14 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, I just hate having the added inquiry on there. I would not have apped if I didn't think I'd be approved. I thought I've read on here about people w/limited cr history getting CCs from USAA w/decent CLs and that they were more lenient than other CCs in helping people to rebuild their credit.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@barbaralee wrote:

Executive Resolutions will get you nowhere fast, they cannot override underwriting. They stick with underwritings decision. USAA does not recon.

And you can't speak with an underwriter. Whenever people ask me for underwriting I usually transfer to ERT. And no way no how is ERT transferring anyone to underwriting.

Fact is USAA does not recon. You can keep calling, and unless you get a noob you are not going to get a recon... even then you won't get a recon.

In my experience they do.

While ER cannot tell underwriting or any other department what to do, they can facilitate a discussion which may allow both sides to better understand each other.  And if it is obvious that the other department is dead wrong and doesn't want to listen to reason, ER most certainly can elevate the issue up the chain of command until someone forces them to do the right thing.  Been there, done that.

Although your average recon is probably futile unless the decision was clearly erroneous, it is irresponsible to paint ER as useless.

Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

That's what's so confusing... I spoke w/several reps, incl 2 in the CC dept., and there doesn't appear to be a way to recon. I thought people here have talked about it, but that may have been a diff CCC and I'm remembering wrong.

I guess I shouldn't have taken the chance. Now my EQ has 3 inquiries, and one of the reasons for decline was "too many inquiries," which when they pulled was only 2. Hmmm. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Would really appreciate knowing if anyone has recon'd w/USAA and/or if there is a number or extension/dept. to call.

Thank you!

What, exactly, were the other reasons?

You do know that with a thin file you have pretty much zero hope of getting unsecured credit with USAA unless you have been a member for a really, really long time -- and maybe even then, right?

Message 17 of 28
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Maybe in your experience, but in my experience which has been 10-12 hrs a day, 6-7 days a week for the last year of my life that is not the case. Times have changed. Not to say it hasn't happened, but it is rare. Underwriting is very, very STRICT, with very firm guidelines and policies that they have to  adhere by. The new credit card laws have given them little to no wiggle room.

And the fact is for most recons ERT will not faciliate any discussion. I'm lucky if I get them to agree to a temporary credit line increase.

Also, I would never paint ERT as useless. I love those guys!  With their assistance I have pushed through credit line increases as well as temporary cli... But when it comes to underwriting decisions such as a flat out denial their hands are tied.

Message 18 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

Maybe in your experience, but in my experience which has been 10-12 hrs a day, 6-7 days a week for the last year of my life that is not the case. Times have changed. Not to say it hasn't happened, but it is rare. Underwriting is very, very STRICT, with very firm guidelines and policies that they have to  adhere by. The new credit card laws have given them little to no wiggle room.

And the fact is for most recons ERT will not faciliate any discussion. I'm lucky if I get them to agree to a temporary credit line increase.

I just wish I had known that this morning! Smiley Sad

Message 19 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

That's what's so confusing... I spoke w/several reps, incl 2 in the CC dept., and there doesn't appear to be a way to recon. I thought people here have talked about it, but that may have been a diff CCC and I'm remembering wrong.

I guess I shouldn't have taken the chance. Now my EQ has 3 inquiries, and one of the reasons for decline was "too many inquiries," which when they pulled was only 2. Hmmm. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Would really appreciate knowing if anyone has recon'd w/USAA and/or if there is a number or extension/dept. to call.

Thank you!

What, exactly, were the other reasons?

You do know that with a thin file you have pretty much zero hope of getting unsecured credit with USAA unless you have been a member for a really, really long time -- and maybe even then, right?

Date of last inquiry too recent (March) -- I read here about people getting a bunch of CCs in a short time, so how can an inq fm 3 mos ago be an issue??
Derogatory public record or collection filed (6-yr old coll) -- Being so old and a small amount, I didn't think this would be an issue.
Length of time accounts have been established -- I do have an old acct reporting positively, but it apparently didn't help.

At this point, I think I'm done until next year, when the collection falls off and these inquiries will have aged. I should have listened to you. I just thought it would be better to have all of the inquires at once so they'd age off at the same time, and I really thought that I had read that USAA was good at helping people to rebuild. Maybe that was just some lucky soul, or maybe their guidelines have tightened as Barbaralee said.

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.