Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Recon?

tag
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Re: USAA Recon?

Bichonmom, did you get a counteroffer for the secured or classic card? If so and you are looking to rebuild credit I would seriously consider them.

Message 21 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

No, neither. Just a denial online with the reasons and Equifax's contact info. The rep said she had no info about my app and that all I could do was reapply in 6 to 12 months.

Is there a way I could get them to consider a classic card? If I had known that was available, I'd have been happy to app for that one. It doesn't need to be "platinum."

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 22 of 28
barbaralee
Established Contributor

The classic and secured cards are counter offered to people who are property & casualty (insurance) eligible, though it is not offered 100% of the time.  The classic is only available through a counter offer. You can call and ask for an app for the secured.

Your rep gave you accurate info. I would have told you the same thing.

Message 23 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I don't qualify for insurance because I'm not related to the military. My grandfather served in WWII but never had ins through them (they checked), so they said I"m not eligible for ins. So, I guess that lets me out of the classic card. Smiley Sad

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 24 of 28
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Awww, don't fret, Bichonmom. You're getting a lot of wise advice from the people on this forum. The most important thing is improving your credit, and all that takes time. In 6 months to a year from now you can have USAA begging for your business. I applied 3x to USAA before I was approved, and I AM P&C eligible. I waited 6 months between each app.

Just keep doing what your doing and in the end you will have better offers than USAA. Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 28
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@bichonmom wrote:

That's what's so confusing... I spoke w/several reps, incl 2 in the CC dept., and there doesn't appear to be a way to recon. I thought people here have talked about it, but that may have been a diff CCC and I'm remembering wrong.

I guess I shouldn't have taken the chance. Now my EQ has 3 inquiries, and one of the reasons for decline was "too many inquiries," which when they pulled was only 2. Hmmm. Just doesn't make any sense to me.

Would really appreciate knowing if anyone has recon'd w/USAA and/or if there is a number or extension/dept. to call.

Thank you!

What, exactly, were the other reasons?

You do know that with a thin file you have pretty much zero hope of getting unsecured credit with USAA unless you have been a member for a really, really long time -- and maybe even then, right?

Date of last inquiry too recent (March) -- I read here about people getting a bunch of CCs in a short time, so how can an inq fm 3 mos ago be an issue??
Derogatory public record or collection filed (6-yr old coll) -- Being so old and a small amount, I didn't think this would be an issue.
Length of time accounts have been established -- I do have an old acct reporting positively, but it apparently didn't help.

At this point, I think I'm done until next year, when the collection falls off and these inquiries will have aged. I should have listened to you. I just thought it would be better to have all of the inquires at once so they'd age off at the same time, and I really thought that I had read that USAA was good at helping people to rebuild. Maybe that was just some lucky soul, or maybe their guidelines have tightened as Barbaralee said.

How long have you been a member of USAA?  They might be kind to long-time members or those in the military, but I seem to remember that you are neither of these. 

You already have two cards that are good at helping people, if I remember correctly.  That's why God invented subprime banks, Orchard Bank, CrapOne and secured cards.  The one old account is a store card or a very low limit card, right?  Those by themselves are virtually worthless. 

Right now you are just racking up inquiries to the point that you might not even get approved for a secured card.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

BarbaraLee wrote:

Awww, don't fret, Bichonmom. You're getting a lot of wise advice from the people on this forum. The most important thing is improving your credit, and all that takes time. In 6 months to a year from now you can have USAA begging for your business. I applied 3x to USAA before I was approved, and I AM P&C eligible. I waited 6 months between each app.

Just keep doing what your doing and in the end you will have better offers than USAA.:smileyhappy:

There are no better offers.  Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.