Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA: allow more than one CC?

tag
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Re: USAA: allow more than one CC?

To anyone who has more than one USAA credit card, may I ask you to share your reason(s) for applying for more than one USAA credit card ?

I'm curious on account of that my USAA mastercard has been non-competitive in regards to the cash rewards and the credit limit increases. In contrast, my Citi dividend select card has been willing to take chances on me with regards to regular-ish credit limit increases that I did not ask for, and I'm more pleased with Citi's cash rewards.

Furthermore, while reading the customer comments on USAA's website for the USAA mastercard, during the last several months several customers shared that USAA made the dispute process difficult when those customers needed to dispute a credit card charge. What I mean by sharing that is that I'm concerned about a possible ongoing decline in the quality of USAA's credit card services.

But to give credit where credit is due, I am thankful for my low interest rate and excellent balance transfer offers on my USAA mastercard.

Message 11 of 19
DVH1980
Contributor

@mojavemoon: I do almost all my banking/insurance/financials through USAA. For me, its a convenience factor having everything in one place. Secondly, I have had nothing but positive experiences with USAA customer service. I also prefer USAA over the Chase, BofA and WF for personal reasons.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 12 of 19
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

I am a newish member of USAA. And it seems to me from these boards and their website, that in terms of long term members that customer service has taken a nosedive. Also that because of their size they have turned to a much more automated, computer driven service module instead of good ole fashion customer service. Now personally, I have yet to experience mediocre service. I did get a rep the other day who sounded new, but was ultra friendly and helpful. Prior to that, during the identity verification process the reps seemed irritated but never mediocre. However, their CC is top notch in terms of rewards and APR and people do notice the USAA logo on your card and the convenience can't be beat-even when youre mailing in a payment. I can't speak to the CL increases because they started me out with a tremendous limit and I don't know that increases are that important in this stage for me however I know that USAA is generous to their full members. Its important to remember that they are a BANK not a CU like navyfed and as such, will operate on that level. The difference is they cater to military families and I feel are rather generous (albeit bankish) in their offerings. I love me some USAA! (and NFCU too). Hope this helps.

Good luck! Smiley Wink

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 13 of 19
MojaveMoon
Established Contributor

Thank you both -- I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Message 14 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Usaa is great from everything ive heard; but why not apply for an amex charge card? Your scores are in the right range for approval. Zync only has a 25$ fee; and will lead to backdating later on.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Also there have been some surprising approvals for amex co branded cards.
FICO 9:

Message 16 of 19
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

I don't know why I am a little gunshy on the AMEX. I just tried-on Friday-for an additional visa card and got turned down because of "new credit". Not sure if I need to wait 6 months or so, or keep selectively applying until someone approves me for a third card? Help!

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 17 of 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@beautybrainsbooty wrote:

I don't know why I am a little gunshy on the AMEX. I just tried-on Friday-for an additional visa card and got turned down because of "new credit". Not sure if I need to wait 6 months or so, or keep selectively applying until someone approves me for a third card? Help!

In my recent experience, Amex did not hesitate to approve my Zync app... with 15+ HPs on EX.   I wouldn't think you would be turned down due to " seeking new credit"

FICO 9:

Message 18 of 19
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

no. way. 15 HP???? whahhhh???| You have stellar credit and optimal scores I am assuming. THATS AWESOME!!! I am right at the cusp of 700 on EQ and me and EX don't have a positive relationshp at this moment. I am forced to wait it out until I get my TLs reporting on EX. Ewwwww I can't wait to get my AMEX!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.