Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA second card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA second card

Just wondering what others experience are with getting a second card with USAA. Is there a time frame? Were the limits better, same, or worse?

I just got my first USAA last month and when I logged on there was an offer for a new card. Not looking for a new card but my first card only had a 2k limit and if they usually go up on second card I would consider and then possibly try to combine later and cancel one.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: USAA second card

I'm not sure on the exact timeframe for a 2nd USAA CC product, but several years ago, I was approved for the first one ($16K) the got a CLI within a year which bumped it to $34K, applied for the 2nd CC around the year mark and was approved for $16K (max unsecured = $50K).

Unfortunately, no PCs or account combinations are allowed with them.  So, choose wisely as far as which product best fits your needs if you decide to go for a 2nd CC.   Optionally, if your profile supports it, you can request a CLI (HP) on your existing card.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

In looking back I got my first card and then within a couple weeks of it, I got a second card with no problems.
Message 3 of 12
r34dy2fly
Contributor

I have 4 USAA cards with one being a low APR rate card. I think I waited a year in between each app. Had no issue. All over 15K CL.

Message 4 of 12
Cherekas
Frequent Contributor

Once I received my first card from USAA for $2500 (Amex rewards), instead of taking a HP for a CLI, I applied for a new card 12 mos later ($8500) Rate Advantage. I've read here where some have been able to receive new cards in 6 mos or less, YMMV. 

Score: F8 EQ 609, EX 597, TU 614 (1/17) Current Score: F8 EQ 701, EX 714, TU 689 (12/18)

Goal Score: 700+ across all 3--Gardening until May 2019
USAA Amex-USAA Rate Advantage VS- Amex Gold- Amex Delta Blue- Macys- NYC CC- Victoria's Secret- Cap 1 QS- NFCU CR- Care Credit- Firestone- Sams Club CC- Best Buy Visa- Paypal 2% MC

Total CL $96,300
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the two in my signature on the same day, both instant approvals, and I believe the HPs combined. Both were approved for the same limit with the same interest terms. This was about 3 years ago, so things may have changed since then.
Message 6 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@r34dy2fly wrote:

I have 4 USAA cards with one being a low APR rate card. I think I waited a year in between each app. Had no issue. All over 15K CL.

@r34dy2fly, you mentioned all 4 of your cards as being over $15K.  My understanding, and based off the USAA lending department, all unsecured CC exposure caps at $50K, regardless of the number of CC products.  When did this change?  Unless your math is off.

Message 7 of 12
r34dy2fly
Contributor

You are correct. One of my USAA cards was $1500. Not $15000. However the others are $22000, $15000, $16000.
Message 8 of 12
r34dy2fly
Contributor

As far as WHEN they changed this policy, I have no idea. I didn't even know it was a policy. I've been with them since 2005.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my 2 USAA cards within about half an hour of each other at the end of 2016. They both had $10k limits and instant approvals. About 6 months later I requested CLI on both at the same time and each went to $17k. My credit was in the end stages of rebuilding at the time of approval too.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.