Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated- APPROVED!!! Amex Recon Question

tag
LilNYC
New Contributor

Updated- APPROVED!!! Amex Recon Question

UPDATE 8/20/12@ 5pm- Just wanted to let everyone know that I was just approved for the BCP thru recon! Initially CL is $2K. Made my day! 

I tried calling Amex's exec office to recon my denied BCP but they told me they don't handle that & that I have to call the new accounts dept (based in India) at 877-399-3083. So I called the new accts dept & for some reason their system didn't let them pull up the letter which lists the reasons fior the denial so the CSR asked me to read them to her & tell her why I disagree with these reasons. She said she could have my application sent for reconsideration by a human being & would add a note listing all my reasons to the request. She also Asked me to fax over a copy of credit report to her att & told me to call back 48 hrs after to find out the decision. She also said they might re-run my credit.

I'm a little nervous to fax over my credit report because it's going to show a 4th inquiry- the 1 from Amex last week when I initially applied. Too many recent credit checks was the first reason listed on my denial letter. Aside from the new Amex inquiry my report is identical to the one they ran last week as my credit cards don't update till the end of the month.

For all of you who've reconed Amex did you go through the executive office or new accounts? How long did it take? Did you have to fax over your credit report?

Also, 1 of the reasons I was denied was because of "number of trades" and the Amex CSR had no idea what that meant? Any of you do?

regarding my denial I was approved for the Zync w/ npsl right beforehand & my initial spending limit is $8K so I'm a little surprised that I was denied for the BCP. Would've thought they would approve me with at least $1000 on a revolver if they r willing to let me spend $8K on the charge card.

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

EQ: 794. TU: 704. EX: 755
Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Recon Question

AMEX only does recon if your credit report is inaccurate. By inaccurate I mean something like "a CO that's not mine", not something like "utilization has since dropped".

Be advised AMEX will HP you again even if you fax over your CR. It does NOT matter if you fax over your CR because AMEX will HP it one more time. They don't look over your faxed report. Now since you already have Zync you shouldn't have that initial HP.

P.S. "Number of trade" and "available of credit" typically means too many.

Message 2 of 38
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

thats good to know, thanks.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 38
LilNYC
New Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

AMEX only does recon if your credit report is inaccurate. By inaccurate I mean something like "a CO that's not mine", not something like "utilization has since dropped".

Be advised AMEX will HP you again even if you fax over your CR. It does NOT matter if you fax over your CR because AMEX will HP it one more time. They don't look over your faxed report. Now since you already have Zync you shouldn't have that initial HP.

there is nothing inaccurate in my CR aside from is the util being lower but that won't be reflected in my reports for a few more weeks, after my credit cards report. I explained this to the CSR & she said she would include this info in my recon request. 

My main reason for requesting a recon was that I disagree with Amex's reasons or the denial- "too many recent credit checks", report they pulled shows 3, & I explained to the CSR that the most recent w1 was a housing/ rental screening inquiry & not an attempt to take out more credit.

I haven't faxed anything over yet & I didn't really didn't understand why they would accept a customer's faxed over report (anyone can doctor it) but the status of application has been changed from "denied" to "in progress."

I'm guessing that if they decide to rerun my credit they will prob pull the other 2 (eq & tu) whih are actually stronger than experian so I don't mind. Especially if you are right that if denied it Will only be a SP since I have the Zync.

I apologize if I sound like a whiny brat it's just that I really want an Amex revolver ( 10 yrs backdating) & I feel that I may have been approved if I applied for a diff. one.  I've worked really hard to clean up my reports & up my scores & have been pretty strategic with my recent apps.  I thank all the posters on this site who educated me about the Zync card being the easiest Amex to get & how you can apply for 2 amex's in 1 day & it only shows up as 1 inquiry. Had I just applied for the BCP I would've been denied & wasted an inquiry. Instead 1 now have a new account that's been backdated 10 yrs which helps my AAoA Instead of hurting it & only 1 additional inquiry instead of 2. I am eternally greatful for this. 

Citi Thank You $13,200 - Chase Freedom $3,100 - AMEX Zync NPSL (init. ability $17.5K) - Citi Forward $7,000 - AMEX BCP $6,000 - USAA Rate Adv $15,000 - USAA World MC $12,000 - Discover More $4,000 - Amex Hilton Honors $4,500 - Amex SPG $2,000 - Barclay's Priceline Rewards $6,400 - Chase Sapphire Pref. $7,500

Message 4 of 38
CK_Charles_Lover
Regular Contributor

Good Luck. Keep us updated. 

Trans Union Fico (Walmart) ,690 Experian Fico (Amex) 686(Opened 3 new accounts this month. In the Garden)

AMEX BCE ($19,500) AMEX PRG -(NPSL), BARCLAYS US AIR PREMIER WORLD ($10,000), BOA CASH REWARD -($6,000), CITI HILTON RESERVE SIGGY-(5,000), WALMART DISCOVER ( $5,800), CITI DIAMOND ($4,700), CITI DIVIDED WORLD ($4,500), AMAZON STORE($5,000), NORDSTROM VISA SIG($5,000), PAYPAL STORE ($4,000) Amex Delta Gold ($2000)
Message 5 of 38
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

there is nothing inaccurate in my CR aside from is the util being lower but that won't be reflected in my reports for a few more weeks, after my credit cards report. I explained this to the CSR & she said she would include this info in my recon request. 

My main reason for requesting a recon was that I disagree with Amex's reasons or the denial- "too many recent credit checks", report they pulled shows 3, & I explained to the CSR that the most recent w1 was a housing/ rental screening inquiry & not an attempt to take out more credit.

I haven't faxed anything over yet & I didn't really didn't understand why they would accept a customer's faxed over report (anyone can doctor it) but the status of application has been changed from "denied" to "in progress."

I'm guessing that if they decide to rerun my credit they will prob pull the other 2 (eq & tu) whih are actually stronger than experian so I don't mind. Especially if you are right that if denied it Will only be a SP since I have the Zync.

I apologize if I sound like a whiny brat it's just that I really want an Amex revolver ( 10 yrs backdating) & I feel that I may have been approved if I applied for a diff. one.  I've worked really hard to clean up my reports & up my scores & have been pretty strategic with my recent apps.  I thank all the posters on this site who educated me about the Zync card being the easiest Amex to get & how you can apply for 2 amex's in 1 day & it only shows up as 1 inquiry. Had I just applied for the BCP I would've been denied & wasted an inquiry. Instead 1 now have a new account that's been backdated 10 yrs which helps my AAoA Instead of hurting it & only 1 additional inquiry instead of 2. I am eternally greatful for this. 

That was the only reason they gave you for denial? Too many recent credit checks?

I dind't think AMEX was that inquiry sensitive, and if you only have 3 that just seems odd. Not sure it would be worth another HP to recon though....may just wait 30 days or so and apply for the revolver again. It's only a SP to see if you're approved for it now that you have your Zync.

Either way good luck

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 6 of 38
LilNYC
New Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

That was the only reason they gave you for denial? Too many recent credit checks?

I dind't think AMEX was that inquiry sensitive, and if you only have 3 that just seems odd. Not sure it would be worth another HP to recon though....may just wait 30 days or so and apply for the revolver again. It's only a SP to see if you're approved for it now that you have your Zync.

Either way good luck

sorry, I should've been clearer, they gave 4 reasons, "too many recent credit checks" was just the 1st reason listed. I only mentioned that one since I only had 3 inquiries so it seemed liked a bogus reason to deny someone. Plus they usually list the reaons in order of importance & seemed odd that 3 inquiries was their msin concern.

I spoke about the initial denial last week in this post

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Should-I-Recon-Amex-BCP-Denied-Zync-Approved-Bitterswee...

Anyhow other 3 reasons for denial were:

Amount of credit avail on accts

Number of trades

High util

Message 7 of 38
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@LilNYC wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

Either way good luck

sorry, I should've been clearer, they gave 4 reasons, "too many recent credit checks" was just the 1st reason listed. I only mentioned that one since I only had 3 inquiries so it seemed liked a bogus reason to deny someone. Plus they usually list the reaons in order of importance & seemed odd that 3 inquiries was their msin concern.

I spoke about the initial denial last week in this post

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Should-I-Recon-Amex-BCP-Denied-Zync-Approved-Bitterswee...

Anyhow other 3 reasons for denial were:

Amount of credit avail on accts

Number of trades

High util

i've heard that they list them in order of importance, but have yet to find anything to actually back that up. I've asked before and nearly each of them respond with "they are listed in no particular order and are of equal importance when making a decision on your credit."

Taking the other reasons in consideration they are basically giving you the info you need to take care of in order to possibly get accepted down the road. Seems like you need to work on utilization especially.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 8 of 38
LilNYC
New Contributor

Quick update- it's now been over 80 hrs. since I requested manual review & status still shows up as "in progress."  I verfied with Amex new accounts dept. that the request for recon was in fact submitted to an underwriter. They said it usually takes 48 hrs but in some cases can take up to 7-10 days & that underwriting team would either contact me by mail if they needed additional info  or just mail me the card with 7-10 days if they decide to approve me thru recon. I'm not holding my breath. Just wondering if this is a good sign or might mean nothing, possibly underwriting team is backed up & haven't even looked at my app yet. 

Felt like I needed a 3rd credit card to help w/ util./ overall credit limit so I just applied fir the Citi Forward & was approved for $7K, 0% apr on purchases & B.T. For 12 months, then 22.9%. Equifax-725. High apr after promo period bc my current accts show high balances. 

Message 9 of 38
Open123
Super Contributor

I've read of a few recon successes with Amex, but they're few and far between.

I couldn't agree more that it makes little sense to allow you to charge $8K on your Zync, but unwilling to extend a $1,000 static limit.  Just one of those things with credit that seemingly defies common sense.

The only reason I can think of is that in many ways, Amex is most comfortable with net 30 accounts where it's customary to request an immediate payment at any time.  This isn't the case with credit lines.

Either way, best of luck!  

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.