Did you mean: 

Updated for 2015: Secured Credit Card List

tag
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Updated for 2015: Secured Credit Card List

@Anonymous wrote:

@sjt wrote:

I was told Andrews CU reports their secured card as secured.

Is it?  I was under the impression based on another commentor in this thread that it reports as unsecured but I haven't personally held it so I wasn't sure.  I'll see if I can find a definitive answer and if it reports as secured I'll update the list.

Hi All,

I emailed Andrews CU asking for confirmation on the reporting of the secured card. The just responded and confirmed that it is reported as a REGULAR credit card. In addition, they informed me that all Visa Cards are the new Gloabl Trek Visa with chip and pin EMV and no FTFs. Their website is not updated to reflect these changes.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 31 of 53
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

@jesseh wrote:

For those who are interested in the SDFCU or Andrews FCU credit card, which is interesting because of no FTF, no AF etc. Be warned that the 'member' service dept is pretty terrible. 

They are very similar CU's.

Waiting for a rep for half an hour and not be notified when the office closes has happened to me. I have never felt like they appreciate me as a customer. When I lost the connection and called back in, the rep didn't want to take the effort of transferring me to the person I was speaking to earlier. Every time I call in with an issue about my credit card, they transfer me to PSCU cardmember services, which has nothing to do with the credit reporting or loan applications.

Wrong information is common, getting no information to your question and then told "would you like to apply for a new loan product?" is even more common. It's the norm to end the call without having your issues dealt with or answered. 

I spoke to the manager at SDFCU, she admitted right away that they have 'training issues' with their employees.

They just won't go the extra mile, let alone an inch, for their members.

I think, looking back, I would have preferred going to a better credit union. Too bad penfed declined me for a secured card back then, they are very conservative with lending to folks with little history.

Sorry to hear that.

I rarely have to speak to anybody about anything. I've called SDFCU a few times and always got somebody in 5 mins or less.

Unsure why you have so many issues with your card, I've never had any. Different folks, different expectations I guess.

Message 32 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would anyone care to contribute what their scores were like when they obtained any of these cards? specifically the ones with rewards?

Message 33 of 53
sjt
Senior Contributor

TD Bank

TD Bank revised their secured card program for the better. They will review the secured card account every 6-8 months for unsecured. If approved they will release the funds and convert the card to unsecured.

Also there are two rewards programs you can choose from, Easy Rewards and Cash Back.

You still have to apply at the branch but anyone in the US can apply for the card.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 34 of 53
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@sjt wrote:

I was told Andrews CU reports their secured card as secured.

My CU reported as secured from May 2013 to October 2014.  Didn't make one bit of difference in my score growth nor approvals.

Signature needs updating
Message 35 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

TD Bank

TD Bank revised their secured card program for the better. They will review the secured card account every 6-8 months for unsecured. If approved they will release the funds and convert the card to unsecured.

Also there are two rewards programs you can choose from, Easy Rewards and Cash Back.

You still have to apply at the branch but anyone in the US can apply for the card.

Because you have to apply at the branch and because they don't have branches nationwide, I have omitted TD Bank from the list.  Good info though Smiley Happy

Message 36 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure it's been mentioned or not but FWIW, the US bank skypass secured card does NOT graduate into an unsecured credit card. I would know, I just tried on mine.The listing on the OP data table is wrong. Had it for 15 months now. They simply told me I'd have to apply for an unsecured product, which for US bank, is a pin in the d**m a$$ if you don't have great credit.

Just my 2 cents.
Message 37 of 53
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a data point... my secured FNBO Visa unsecured at 10 months, not 15. I got two unsecured CLIs. From $300 to $400, then from $400 to $700. Both happened before the graduation, but I can't remember exactly how old the card was when I got them.

Message 38 of 53
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

With Citi I believe you can apply online now.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 39 of 53
renamariee
Contributor

What does it mean by counter offer only?

Starting Score: 587
Current Score: 637
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 40 of 53
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.