Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from QS1 to Venture1?

tag
Mnk1
New Contributor

Upgrade from QS1 to Venture1?

This seem seem like a sort of weird upgrade considering the Venture 1 only has 1.25% reward. My current QS1 card was originally a Platinum Visa I upgraded a year or so ago and just got a 1k CLI this summer after using it soley on vacation. It has a higher AF of $59 but a low 16.4% APR I can keep if I upgrade, but with no annual free. I don't travel often.u

Am I missing something?

I have a QS with $10,500 CL and another QS with $750 (upgraded from a Platinum MC around the same time I upgraded the Platimun Visa) both with 24.65% APR. I really just with I could combine all three cards, but that doesn't seem to be an option anytime soon.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

Re: Upgrade from QS1 to Venture1?

If you already have a QS just upgrade so that you don’t have that annual fee anymore. Just my two cents.
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think switching to the VentureOne would be a good idea on essentially a card you aren’t using and it costs you money to have.

While the VentureOne, is indeed, probably the weakest card that Cap1 has, it’s definitely better than paying. Plus, the V1 SUB isn’t a SUB that you would miss. It’s not gonna get you a free flight by itself.
Message 3 of 18
Mnk1
New Contributor

In my haste to post I was negligent to state I have been calling Cap1 for the last 2 yrs getting the annual fee waived. My apologies! It's a small pain, but also something I probably shouldn't rely on to be a guarantee each year.
Message 4 of 18
DoctorManhattan
Frequent Contributor

I’m not seeing how having a QS and QS1 is to your benefit when you can have the same CL and rate with a card that gives you no AF. You already have the QS. I would still upgrade and save yourself the hassle from calling to potentially get your fee waived.
Message 5 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Mnk1, don't question the upgrade. Just take it. Smiley Happy

The big thing is to lose the annual fee. As you've found out, QuicksilverOnes are notoriously hard to upgrade. You want to be open to any offer you can get.

Once you've upgraded to the VentureOne, further upgrade offers will likely come more easily after six months or so have passed. At that point, you may be able to improve your reward situation by upgrading to another Quicksilver card.

Message 6 of 18
Mnk1
New Contributor

Okay, I'll do it! Smiley Happy. Yes, good strategy, convert now to Venture1 and maybe be able to convert later to another QS.

Who knows,  if Cap1 brings back account combination, I might even be able to combine all three into this one with the lowest APR?

Message 7 of 18
Mnk1
New Contributor

I'm now a proud owner of a Venture One. Thanks for the guidance.

Message 8 of 18
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Grats on the upgrade! And more importantly getting rid of that pesky AF. Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 18
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Mnk1 wrote:

Who knows,  if Cap1 brings back account combination, I might even be able to combine all three into this one with the lowest APR?

APR might be one criterion to consider. Others may choose to keep the older card. And some might choose the card whose limit is more likely to grow.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.