Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using A Non Costco Amex At Costco..

tag
RSCo
Established Contributor

Using A Non Costco Amex At Costco..

Has anyone received any preapproved offers for the Amex Costco card by using a non Costco Amex while shopping there? Have the gold Delta SkyMiles card and just started using it there. I'm hoping to receive an offer for the Costco Amex.. I wonder if Amex scans thru your charges to see that you're using a non Costco Amex while shopping there. 

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Using A Non Costco Amex At Costco..

@RSCo wrote:

Has anyone received any preapproved offers for the Amex Costco card by using a non Costco Amex while shopping there? Have the gold Delta SkyMiles card and just started using it there. I'm hoping to receive an offer for the Costco Amex.. I wonder if Amex scans thru your charges to see that you're using a non Costco Amex while shopping there. 

I used my Unicorn card there last month, will be shopping there monthly now i'll keep ya updated!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 12
RSCo
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@RSCo wrote:

I used my Unicorn cord there last month, will be shopping there monthly now i'll keep ya updated!!

Sweet, thanks. 

Message 3 of 12
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I spent about 20k at Costco last year on my zync and never heard a peep from them. a few years earlier I was making a large purchase and a supervisor came over to suggest upgrading to executive, but nothing about the amex. that being said, I apped in store in December and was instantly approved with a 5k limit after only getting 1k on my Hilton card 6 most earlier. so I do think they look at your spending.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 12
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
I spent about 20k at Costco last year on my zync and never heard a peep from them. a few years earlier I was making a large purchase and a supervisor came over to suggest upgrading to executive, but nothing about the amex. that being said, I apped in store in December and was instantly approved with a 5k limit after only getting 1k on my Hilton card 6 most earlier. so I do think they look at your spending.

Very nice. Congratulations. Maybe I'll do that in 6 months or so after my 3x cli Ono my new sSkyMiles in 60 days. 

Message 5 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

As far as I know, you can use any Amex network card.  That could be from Amex, cobranded (BofA, Citi, Fidelity, etc...), or an Amex gift card.  

So, if you have lots of Costco purchases (say, you buy for business), then the Fid Amex 2% would be the best card to use, since it's more cash back than the Amex Costco card.

PS - For costco.com, you can use any credit card (Visa, MC, and even Discover).

Message 6 of 12
sengpatt
Regular Contributor

If you value Starpoints above 2 cents/point, which many people do, the SPG could be good to use at Costco as well. If Amex won't do bonus categories for it, the best thing would be to bring it out for big purchases at Costco.

EX: 758 (10/12), TU: ???, EQ: ???

BankAmericard Travel Rewards // Citi Forward // Amex Blue Cash Preferred // Gap Visa
Message 7 of 12
Open123
Super Contributor

@sengpatt wrote:

If you value Starpoints above 2 cents/point, which many people do, the SPG could be good to use at Costco as well. If Amex won't do bonus categories for it, the best thing would be to bring it out for big purchases at Costco.

Right, for big business Costco purchases, the SPG business card is the way to go!

PS - Ironically, the least attractive Amex for Costco is the...well...Costco Amex.  Even MR points I value at greater than 1% cashback.

Message 8 of 12
RSCo
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@sengpatt wrote:

Right, for big business Costco purchases, the SPG business card is the way to go!

PS - Ironically, the least attractive Amex for Costco is the...well...Costco Amex.  Even MR points I value at greater than 1% cashback.

Good info..  Thanks. 

Message 9 of 12
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@sengpatt wrote:

For those without business cards, the primary value of the Costco Amex is for Costco gas. I put 20k on the zync because it was the only card I had, then it was the only card with a high enough limit (npsl) to support larger purchases. while using an spg makes sense if you already have it, I'm not sure getting the card for Costco purchases alone makes sense. but since the costco Amex costs only an inquiry and I won't be getting a fidelity or spg any time soon, I'm resigned to 1% for the time being.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.