Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using my Amex in Paypal

tag
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Using my Amex in Paypal

I buy stuff online and the websites usually direct me to pay through Paypal for their goods and services. The transaction shows up on my Amex account as PP* Merchant Charge. As long as they are listed as Merchant Charge Amex shouldn't freak out right? I remember seeing that Amex cards and PP are kinda iffy because how it can look like MS. My transactions are for actual things. They also count as actual purchases and not "cash like" charges?

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using my Amex in Paypal

@SkyCommander wrote:

I buy stuff online and the websites usually direct me to pay through Paypal for their goods and services. The transaction shows up on my Amex account as PP* Merchant Charge. As long as they are listed as Merchant Charge Amex shouldn't freak out right? I remember seeing that Amex cards and PP are kinda iffy because how it can look like MS. My transactions are for actual things. They also count as actual purchases and not "cash like" charges?

You're fine.  Like a lot of supposed things that Amex doesn't do or like, the use of Amex with PayPal is one of them.  Another myth commonly stated.  Plenty of people use Amex with PayPal wihtout issue.  What you are doing is fine and will be considered as a purchase.

Message 2 of 7
rex_03
Contributor

I have my Amex Plat. card linked, and use it all the time, no worries!!

Message 3 of 7
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

You shouldnt have anything to worry about. I frequent use my AmEx to make payments to people and any website that takes it as id rather they dont have my card info on hand. Its never once been an issue, and a single purchase from Newegg was made within the first few weeks that met the min spend requirement.

Message 4 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I once had this same concern based on all the 'hype' I've read, but I've been using Amex for Paypal/eBay purchases for a while now with no problems at all.

IMO as long as your purchases are normal you have nothing to worry about.  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

Great stuff thanks all for clarifying that up for me.

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 6 of 7
ThriftySaver
Regular Contributor

Anyone ever had an issue when they tried to use amex card to make payment to malaysia seller in paypal, it never lets me choose amex, only mc and visa

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.