Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Cards

tag
micvite
Frequent Contributor

Visa Cards

So I have everything other than a visa and a diners club (well I have discover so same difference lol)

I would like to get a visa infinite, if not a signature at least, this year and I'm not really sure what the best issuer would be in terms of AF, rewards, limits etc. Chase I believe is still out of the question for me (I was issued a "DO NOT OPEN NEW ACCOUNTS" flag on my profile and I doubt it's gone anywhere) so what are my other options? I basically have food and airlines covered with AMEX, I use Discover for 5% rotating, and alternate my CITI DC with cap 1 QS for day to day spending (So I make sure my statement balance is what I want it to be). Ideally I'd like something that provides rewards for transportation (gas, tolls, electric charging), or furniture/home remodeling or if I'm missing some random category of rewards that I didn't think existed that I use day to day anyway lol... (Don't really shop at amazon that much).

Appreciate any advice, and please mention if the bank is inq sensitive or not so I know when I should apply for it. I also prefer points over CB as long as there are good redemption partners and I can get good value out of them (comparible to MR points for example)

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Re: Visa Cards

Citi Custom Cash?  5% in your top spending category.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 2 of 15
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Citi Custom Cash?  5% in your top spending category.  

Pretty sure that's... a mastercard NOT a VISA also 500 a month isn't going to cut it lol. 

Cap1 VX $50k
Message 3 of 15
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

I use Costco Visa Signature (VS for $5K+) for gas and some "transportation" like rental or airlines. Very useful in places that do not accept Amex (no FTF), in your case. AF is $60, Costco membership included Smiley Wink

That said, Citi does opt-in/opt-out of network benefits. However, Costco Citi seems to be among the most immune to this, on their portfolio and retains most of the benefits (thanks to Costco, probably).

Message 4 of 15
jcooks
Established Contributor

Cap One Venture X is a Visa Infinite. 

Message 5 of 15
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@jcooks wrote:

Cap One Venture X is a Visa Infinite. 

Oh? That's interesting I didn't know. Any clue how the redemptions are? Not very versed in cap 1 points but I heard venture miles weren't that great?

Cap1 VX $50k
Message 6 of 15
jcooks
Established Contributor

Points redemption value changes drastically depending on how you redeem.  You can probably find a list of their travel partners and most of them do transfer to a 1:1 to different hotel/airline programs.

Message 7 of 15
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Why do you specifically need a Visa?  Apart from Costco, I've never seen any difference in acceptance between Visa and MC.

Amex can be spotty particularly among small businesses.  Discover is pretty good in the US, but can be a challenge abroad.  Visa and MC are pretty much universal, though.  Just my own observations.

Message 8 of 15
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Why do you specifically need a Visa?  Apart from Costco, I've never seen any difference in acceptance between Visa and MC.

Amex can be spotty particularly among small businesses.  Discover is pretty good in the US, but can be a challenge abroad.  Visa and MC are pretty much universal, though.  Just my own observations.

It's a want rather than a need, it's just something to have... One example is costco, but I've had other situations at smaller businesses that only would take visa for example (having an exclusive contract with them gives you a better rate apparently)

Cap1 VX $50k
Message 9 of 15
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@micvite wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

It's a want rather than a need, it's just something to have... One example is costco, but I've had other situations at smaller businesses that only would take visa for example (having an exclusive contract with them gives you a better rate apparently)

Not that you asked, but my advice is to not treat your credit cards like collectibles.  Find the products that actually benefit you and make a plan to get those.  Don't chase products you don't actually need.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.