Visa Cards

tag
micvite
Frequent Contributor

Re: Visa Cards

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@micvite wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Why do you specifically need a Visa?  Apart from Costco, I've never seen any difference in acceptance between Visa and MC.

Amex can be spotty particularly among small businesses.  Discover is pretty good in the US, but can be a challenge abroad.  Visa and MC are pretty much universal, though.  Just my own observations.

It's a want rather than a need, it's just something to have... One example is costco, but I've had other situations at smaller businesses that only would take visa for example (having an exclusive contract with them gives you a better rate apparently)

Not that you asked, but my advice is to not treat your credit cards like collectibles.  Find the products that actually benefit you and make a plan to get those.  Don't chase products you don't actually need.

Yeah I get that, I mean in that case i basically have everything I need for now(other than a gas card which I'll be getting later this year). Which is why I figured I could splurge on something I wanted and I can see as potentially useful. At least until I figure out how to please the Chase gods to let me back into the gates lol. Either way I appreciate the advice, and it's not like I apply for credit cards like crazy, I'm 1/24 currently with amex plat as my last one. everything else is 2 or more years old at this point. 

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 11 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@micvite wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Why do you specifically need a Visa?  Apart from Costco, I've never seen any difference in acceptance between Visa and MC.

Amex can be spotty particularly among small businesses.  Discover is pretty good in the US, but can be a challenge abroad.  Visa and MC are pretty much universal, though.  Just my own observations.

It's a want rather than a need, it's just something to have... One example is costco, but I've had other situations at smaller businesses that only would take visa for example (having an exclusive contract with them gives you a better rate apparently)

One thing to be aware of is that the network is not always a permanent thing!  From time to time, so issuers force-change existing cards from one network to another.  

Message 12 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@micvite wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

One thing to be aware of is that the network is not always a permanent thing!  From time to time, so issuers force-change existing cards from one network to another.  

Ok, this is possible, but probably the least common event to weigh when looking at a new card. Smiley Happy

Having a VISA and a MC can make a difference in certain situations. At a restaurant I visited in NL, they only accepted MC among CC and even debit cards. The flip is also possible, only VISA.

If the card in hand were to change from VISA to MC, that would have a runway of several months for the OP to adjust. Not a factor to stress over in the initial application.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

If the card in hand were to change from VISA to MC, that would have a runway of several months for the OP to adjust. Not a factor to stress over in the initial application.  

Not in general, no.   But if the major (or even only!) goal is to get "a visa"......

Message 14 of 15
micvite
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@micvite wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Ironically I was hoping that was going to happen with my QS card when they started issuing visas... I was certain it was going to change and then it didn't 😅

Ex: 742, TU: 726, EQ: 733 03/31/2021
Discover it cashback: $10900
Citi DC: $13000
WF Propel: closed 2k
Amex BCED: $3000
Amex Gold: $NPSL
Amex Plat: NPSL
Cap1 QS: $3200
Cap1 VX $50k
VS CC: $2900
Kohls: $3000
Synchrony car care: $3000
citi best buy visa: $8500
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.