Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visa Signature Help

tag
Bones
New Contributor

Visa Signature Help

Still in need of 100% verification of what happens when a balance reports on a Visa Signature that currently reports $0 CL.  The CL is 5k but that is not reported, only $0.  I need to do a BT tonight or tomorrow to beat the high util card statement next week.  

Will the Visa Signature 'hide' the util and/or balance from FICO and other scoring models?  There will be 87% util on the Signature card when I do the BT . Would like a little more advice before I do the BT.  Anybody noticed how the Signature card reports and what the results were?  I'm going to lose a little money doing the BT fee, but if it will improve my score a little and remove the high util, then I am going to do it.  

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Re: Visa Signature Help

@Bones wrote:

Still in need of 100% verification of what happens when a balance reports on a Visa Signature that currently reports $0 CL.  The CL is 5k but that is not reported, only $0.  I need to do a BT tonight or tomorrow to beat the high util card statement next week.  

Will the Visa Signature 'hide' the util and/or balance from FICO and other scoring models?  There will be 87% util on the Signature card when I do the BT . Would like a little more advice before I do the BT.  Anybody noticed how the Signature card reports and what the results were?  I'm going to lose a little money doing the BT fee, but if it will improve my score a little and remove the high util, then I am going to do it.  

Sorry I have not seen other posts by you on this. I'll post to bump it up to see if you get others answering. I am going to assume it will show that 87% UTL as pretty much every Visa Signature card reports limits. Also assuming you are BT due to 0% interest on the card? If that's better than the old card just do it and start paying it down. 

Message 2 of 12
HiLine
Blogger

@Bones wrote:

If your card is with Bank of America, the credit limit will not be reported. However, FICO will regard the high balance as the credit limit. It's the daily balance, not the statement balance. As long as you pay off the balance becfore the statement closes you'll get a 0% utilization on the card.

Message 3 of 12
Bones
New Contributor

So FICO will score my card as bad if I leave a statement balance. Yes, it is a BofA card. I had thought FICO would not calculate a card with no limit reported into util.

I have a Discover card balance at 50% util that I wanted to hide from FICO by a BT to my BofA. My util would be 90% on the BofA after the BT. So this would cause a greater decrease in my score than leaving my Discover at 50%? Like I say, just thought FICO would not consider a card with no limit into util scoring, etc.
Message 4 of 12
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

Just for info.

I had a new B of A account report today, as it is a brand new account, it is a Sig version and I was surprised that the limit was not reported.  Granted I only saw this on Credit Karma and not MyFico though.

I will wait and see how MyFico reports it later on when the rest of my new accounts report.

I did take a 2 point hit on CK for the new account, not as bad as I thought it would be.  CK has me at 743 now.

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 5 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Bones

The only cards fico (newer versions at least) doesn't take into account is charge card balances. Siggys are flexible spend accounts which operate a little differently. They're still credit cards.
Message 6 of 12
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@Bones wrote:

Still in need of 100% verification of what happens when a balance reports on a Visa Signature that currently reports $0 CL.  The CL is 5k but that is not reported, only $0.  I need to do a BT tonight or tomorrow to beat the high util card statement next week.  

Sorry, but you're not going to be able to get "100% verification of what happens..."  because there is no 100% guarantee. Smiley Sad

Much depends on the card issuer and what they report to the CRA.  Also, apparently it may depend on how your Signature card was sourced -- was it an original application or was it a PC from a regular Visa to a Signature Visa. 

I have 4 Signature Visa cards.  They were NOT PC from regular Visas, they were original apps.  All of them report, on all 3 CRA, a Credit Limit, a High Balance, and the notation of Flexible Spending Card.  The only ones that truly don't factor in are the NPSL charge cards.  There is a misnomer that a Signature Visa is a NPSL card.  That's not entirely correct.  Depending on the issuer, they MAY allow you to go over some mythical amount deemed your credit limit, but the expectation is that the amount over will be a PIF rather quickly. 

Message 7 of 12
credit-n-motion

Your BT will show as High CL this should factor as Good for your FICO after you pay it down. Until then, you may take a Util. hit simply because most V-Sig's do not report the credit line because it's not a limit but rather a guideline that can be approved for overages.
Message 8 of 12
zerobacan
Established Contributor

@credit-n-motion wrote:
Your BT will show as High CL this should factor as Good for your FICO after you pay it down. Until then, you may take a Util. hit simply because most V-Sig's do not report the credit line because it's not a limit but rather a guideline that can be approved for overages.

So it will be look worse to have a

Visa Siggy 5k balance  Flexible spending (CL 20ks) CL not being reported

than

Regular Visa  5k, 50% utility CL 10ks

Overall utilization will be hurt as having 5k balance in the overall utilization that doesnt get counter weighted by its CL being reported?

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 9 of 12
resilient
Established Contributor

Way to bring back a 5 month old dead thread lol

Amex Platinum Amex PRG Amex Hilton Surpass ($7k) Citi AAdvantage WEMC ($20k) Citi Hilton Honors VS ($6.8k) Dillard's Amex ($7.5k) Discover it ($6.5k) FNBO Chrysler MC ($30k) Military Star Card ($4.8k) Nordstrom VS ($25k) PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS ($20.5k) Ritz-Carlton VI ($54.5k) Starwood Preferred Guest Amex ($10k) Susan G. Komen WMC ($38k) Kinetic CU Visa ($10k) US Bank Cash + VS ($16k) Sears MC ($6k) USAA Limitless VS ($15k) Walmart MC ($7.5k) AAdvantage Aviator Silver WEMC ($11.3k)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.