Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WILL I BE APPROVED for Chase Sapphire Preferred

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Do PreApproved mean you will 100 per cent be PreApproved?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been told at my Chase Bank branch, that I have been PreApproved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

Is that it?

Is this a 100 per cent certainty?

I would like to apply for the card, but do not want to be turned down and have that go on my credit report.

Preapprovals are never a certainty from any issuer.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does PreApproved mean you will 100 per cent be PreApproved?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been told at my Chase Bank branch, that I have been PreApproved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

Is that it?

Is this a 100 per cent certainty?

I would like to apply for the card, but do not want to be turned down and have that go on my credit report.

There is no certain outcome for a credit application until the lender pulls your current credit report.  But if Chase tells you that you are pre-qualified for the CSP, you stand an excellent chance of getting it approved.  Especially if it was an "in-branch pre-approval."

Also, a denial of a credit card does not go on your credit report.

This is the third thread you've started basically asking the same question.  The first two threads were merge into one, and this one will most likely be merged with the others.

Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MaizeandBlue,

I appreciate the advice you gave me about actually going into the bank.

Can you explain about a denial not impacting my credit report.

I am assuming howver that APPLYING for the card WILL go on my report -- is that correct?

This would be my fourth application in the past 24 months.

So I am concerned about that.

Again appreciate your advice.

I tried to make this posting different since it deals specifically with being told that I have been "preapproved."

And good luck against Alabama!!

Message 23 of 40
Remedios
Credit Mentor

OP, I've asked your thread be merged with another one you started (also consisting of two merged threads).

Please refrain from starting new thread with each question related to same possible application. It gets very confusing for our members, then there is typing "from the scratch" regarding questions already answered multiple times.

Thank you
Message 24 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks MaizeandBlue,

I appreciate the advice you gave me about actually going into the bank.

Can you explain about a denial not impacting my credit report.

I am assuming howver that APPLYING for the card WILL go on my report -- is that correct?

This would be my fourth application in the past 24 months.

So I am concerned about that.

Again appreciate your advice.

I tried to make this posting different since it deals specifically with being told that I have been "preapproved."

And good luck against Alabama!!

@Anonymous When you apply for credit, the lender with few exceptions, will pull a current version of your credit report.  That referred to as a "credit inquiry" or hard pull an depending on your credit profile it can cost you between 0-10 points off your credit score.  That credit inquiry remains on your credit report for two years, but only affects your score for one year.  By the end of the first year you would have recovered any points lost from the inquiry.

If the lender decides to deny your application there is never any record of that denial on your credit report.

When you went to the Chase branch, did you specifically ask if you had any "in-branch pre-approvals?"  Those in-branch carry a bit extra weight that the online pre-approvals or those in the mobile app.  The banker should have looked up your account info and there's a specific screen that shows the credit cards you're pre-approved for.  If you then decide to app through the banker they will only ask you two questions since you're already pre-approved.  Those are (1) current income (2) verify address and contact information.  So an in-branch pre-approval while not guaranteed, is as close as you would come to a guarantee.

Message 25 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes.

She did look it up.

She seemed to know what I was talking about.

She asked for my info.

Then told me that I was pre approved.

I did not use that specific term "in branch pre approval."

Is that a specific term that people at the bank would know about? I certainly can go back and ask the same person.

She also told me she could not tell me what credit limit I would get. That is not really important to me.

She also said she could not get me 100 per cent assurance that I would be approved.

Thanks

Message 26 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there.

I understand what you are saying.

But this current post is different from the initial one which was more general.

I have now been told that I am pre approved.

That really changes the dynamics.

My question here is dealing with specifically "what does preapproved" actually mean.

I am sorry if you feel I am duplicating my posts.

I do not mean to do that.

Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well then, if the banker verified you're a Chase customer (they usually ask for your debit card or ID), then looked up the info and said you were pre-approved for the CSP then you're good to go.  Your best bet would be to apply through the banker so that if there are any issues regarding verification, etc. they can be resolved immediately.  Just make sure your credit reports aren't locked or frozen; Chase typically pulls from two credit bureaus.

Message 28 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.

Yes she asked for ID - my drivers license.

Do you know which two credit bureaus Chase uses?

Also - I may have asked you this before - do you feel the fact that I have recently opened accounts at Chase is having a positive impact on this.

I have had some people say yes and others say absolutely not.

Thanks again.

Message 29 of 40
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks.

Yes she asked for ID - my drivers license.

Do you know which two credit bureaus Chase uses?

Also - I may have asked you this before - do you feel the fact that I have recently opened accounts at Chase is having a positive impact on this.

I have had some people say yes and others say absolutely not.

Thanks again.

Generally Experian and either EQ or TU. It depends on your state. Sometimes they just pull something else, you can look at data and do your best guess but it's never 100%.

Having recently opened accounts? It does not hurt but it does not guarantee anything.

If you are looking for reassurance, you need to be confident in your credit profile with Chase. Take in all the data and take a calculated risk. 

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.