Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Backdoor? Identity Verification

tag
AnaMKMK
New Contributor

Walmart Backdoor? Identity Verification

I can't believe the ordeal I went through with Walmart.... I was just reminded of why I go to Target or Meijer!!! And keep asking myself what the heck was I thinking app'ing for their card???

On Friday I got an email telling me I'd been denied because they could not verify my identity. Easy enough right? Figured I'd just call them up and we'd get this all cleared away - I am who I am and I know who I am.. can't get any easier. Placed the call driving home from work. It's a 15 minute drive and I was on the phone for almost 2 hours!!!!!

The first chic who answered was very nice, she listened to why I was calling, the whole applied online and got denied because my identity couldn't be verified, and then pulled up my ap. She asked me to verify my name, address, ssn, etc.. And then proceeded to tell me that I'd been denied for credit and my letter telling me why would arrive in so many days. UHH OK, hello did you hear the first part of our conversation?? So I went through everything again and she insisted that I had to reapply because I'd been denied, so I stressed one more time that I KNEW why I'd been denied, I was told via email that very morning! Something clicked or she was blowing me off, in either case she transferred me to another department.

Someone picked up, who understood a lot better, knew that I was calling just to have my identity verified and was ready to walk my through the steps. However the first einstein hadn't closed out my ap and so she couldn't access it. I got put on hold for about 15 minutes while they tried tracking down einstein, the csr did come back and give me updates so I wasn't totaly hanging. Anyways my stupid cell phone cuts off on me.

so I called back.

Remember the first einstein? well I hit einstein #2. Who absolutley refused to transfer me to any other department, insisted that I must go INTO the store to verify my identity, but all they would do for me was process another application. I told them more then once that I don't want another application because it would affect my credit. He hung up on me.

Then there was einstein #3, who also insisted that he would not transfer me. But reminded me that I would get a letter in the mail explaining why I was denied. HELLOO I already told you!!! So this guy finally said, well mam if you have your denial letter then get your free credit report that will explain why we could not verifiy your identity. So I said to him, I've seen my credit report, all of the information matches exactly what I just gave you - there is no issue of my identity, however the online ap asked for mortgage related info, since i've never had nor know of any mortgage I put n/a for each. "Well mam obviously your credit report has information about a mortgage, why else would we ask those questions?". At this point I started laughing and must have sounded like a mad woman!! I was running around in circles and getting no where. This guy transferred me to another department where the next guy told me in no uncertain terms that I would have to re-apply to be considered and then hung up on me.

For the next guy I asked immediatly for a manager and didn't take no for an answer, the others kept talking around my requests for a manager. I finally get a manager on the line who says I'd need to re-apply. LOL. At this point I was begggging for someone to track down the lady my cell phone hung up on! So the manager puts me on hold and comes back to tell me einstein #1 still had my ap locked (over 90 minutes later) and they couldn't do anything for me until they tracked her down and unlocked it. And she asked me to call back. No, there is no direct number to any one person. Yes, you'll need to speak to our CSR group first.

And I still don't think that manager knew what I was talking about.

So that was a long way of asking......Does Walmart allow you to verifiy your identity over the phone?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart Backdoor? Identity Verification

My guess is that a lot of people are getting denials because of this.  I wrote several messages about  this about this last week.  Here is the number to call about it, 877-294-7880 or 888-699-9581.  You will be asked for your account info twice.  The third time, you will be asked for your soc.  Ask to speak someone in the applications department.

The first one is definately Walmarts.  The second might be or Chevron's.  Either way, they will lead you to the same place, GEMB.  I had to call about 3 times last week.. and even once on Friday after I had applied for the Amazon.com credit card. 

For anyone reading this, even if you do not get a denial... and only get the 7-10 message, just give them a call because there is a chance it is a verification problem.  I was told that they cannot retreive your application after 72 hours. 

Message Edited by Changingmantra on 05-11-2008 12:24 PM
*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I THINK THAT THE TWO (2) "MASTERS" OF "IDENTITY VERIFICATION HAVE RESPONDED TO YOU.....HEHEHEHE....THE TWO (2) OF US KNOW.....

CALL: (877)294-7880 -- Ask for the FRAUD Department so that they may COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESSING. It may be too late this time. If so, whenever you reapply, automatically call them afterwards. NEVER ACCEPT THE 7-10 ANSWER IN THE MAIL that they say that you will receive.

I always have to go through the FRAUD DEPARTMENT for IDENTITY VERIFICATION with GEMONEY. I have always found that I have greater success with them if I apply IN-STORE and use a LANDLINE as my home number as well. I was declined to about 5 of their cards back in January. In the past week I have received all 5 of those and more due to this method.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

James Are you saying that you app'd online got decline with issues but when you went into the store you got approved?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Whenever I applied ONLINE for Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Kirkland's, and Chevron back in January, all of them were denied.  This time I did Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Kirkland's, and Sam's Club in person.  I was APPROVED for all of them after ID VERIFICATION.  I called in and applied for Chevron instead of online (I think anyway -- they couldn't locate the application) and after ID VERIFICATION I was APPROVED again.  Get the pattern......All that matters is....

BY GOLLY I GOT THEM!!!!!!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart Sux ... I talked to the lady at the phone number ... The reason I was denied was not enough revolving credit ...  but hey I still have my cap one card in great standing with a 2000.00 CL... So NO MORE WALMART>>> or GEMB... they must not want my money ...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.