Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover Upgrade! Strange?

tag
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Walmart Discover Upgrade! Strange?

I did my usual 4 month CLI and was denied. Now 2 weeks later I get a letter in the mail that I'm being upgraded to the Walmart Discover card. I wasn't asked if I wanted it. They just said in 65 days I will be receiving my new card. They turned me down for a CLI for Derogatory Public Records, Length of time accounts have been established, lack of installment loan information and Proportion of balances to credit limits. Also they used a credit score from March 28 2013 of 697. I have had my Walmart card for 26 months I'm at 20 percent of credit and have never been higher total on all my cards combined. My walmart card balance was less then $300 on $3300 limit. The only thing I can think of was they were converting me to Walmart Discover at the time I asked for the CLI. It was never mentioned online on my account to upgrade. I wonder when I call to activate the card if it will be a new inquiry

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover Upgrade! Strange?

@coldnmn wrote:

I did my usual 4 month CLI and was denied. Now 2 weeks later I get a letter in the mail that I'm being upgraded to the Walmart Discover card. I wasn't asked if I wanted it. They just said in 65 days I will be receiving my new card. They turned me down for a CLI for Derogatory Public Records, Length of time accounts have been established, lack of installment loan information and Proportion of balances to credit limits. Also they used a credit score from March 28 2013 of 697. I have had my Walmart card for 26 months I'm at 20 percent of credit and have never been higher total on all my cards combined. My walmart card balance was less then $300 on $3300 limit. The only thing I can think of was they were converting me to Walmart Discover at the time I asked for the CLI. It was never mentioned online on my account to upgrade. I wonder when I call to activate the card if it will be a new inquiry

No INQ but new account.  BUT should be higher credit line!

Message 2 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

Congrats but strange indeed

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 11
justforting
Regular Contributor

I think I've read somewhere that Walmart will be directly PC'ed to Walmart Discover after ~2 years if you do nothing wrong?

Last App: 09/17/2013 // No App Until: Mortgage (05/14?)

Cards in my wallet: AMEX BCE ($8000) // CITI AA VISA SIG ($5000) // CHASE FREEDOM ($3500) // DISCOVER IT ($1000) // CAP ONE NC ($1000) // WALMART DISCOVER ($1600)
Credit Scores: FICO TU08 (10/13): 739 // Credit Karma (10/13): 677??!! // Credit Sesame (10/13): 730
Next Goal: CSP (after mortgage probably...)
Message 4 of 11
Chaos122
Regular Contributor

Hi, This is the exact same way I was upgraded to the discover version.  No notification online just a letter saying you will be upgraded in 45 days or so.   There should also be something on the letter that says if you would NOT like to upgrade, you can call and decline the upgrade and keep your store card.

No new inquiry, but it will be a new account as someone else mentioned.  Also when mine came in it didnt reflect a recent credit increase i had gotten on my store card and thus had an older smaller limit.  But when I activated it BAM auto cli to a line almost twice as large as my store card.

I love GE, eventhough they havent given me any love in over a year! Gotta garden off those inquiries and new accounts before they give me any love. lol

Starting Score: TU 608, Eq 618
Current Score: TU 797 Eq 792, Ex 805 (psecu)
Goal Score: 840 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
imovinup
Regular Contributor

Congrats this is my hope of one day converting my store card to the discover. I just have a bad habit of weekly credit limit increase requests. I always get denied. IM not going to hit the luv button for 5 months just to see what will happen if I grow some patients

Starting Score: 5/30/13 TU 630; EQ618: EX PLUS639
Current Score: 4/2/15 TU 661; EQ 617; ; EX FICO 631
Goal Score: 700

Message 6 of 11
Blackbeauty212
Frequent Contributor

@justforting wrote:

I think I've read somewhere that Walmart will be directly PC'ed to Walmart Discover after ~2 years if you do nothing wrong?

I don't know if that's true...I've read on here people with several years of Excellent History and High CL, but still cannot get GE to Upgrade them to the Discover.

Seems like just plain luck of the drawl with GE/Walmart.... The only pattern I can put together is at certain times of the year GE goes in and eeny meeny miny moes accounts for upgrades.. Which is why we're seeing all these threads now about getting "the Upgrade" letter. 

Message 7 of 11
texasman07
Established Contributor

Coldnm. Did u get your card yet?
Message 8 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

No! You can be sure I will update your post when I do. That seems to be the post everyone updates so I will update there also. I would think they would mail out Friday so they should be here the beginning of the week. When I've gotten cards from them seems like the middle of the week.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 9 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I've had mine open now for 22 months $6K line. No offer yet to upgrade.......Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.