Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Store Card - Upgradable?

tag
RootDet
Established Contributor

Walmart Store Card - Upgradable?

Hi All,

I come here to seek advice. I have the Walmart Store Card (not the Mastercard). I never really knew why I got the Store only card, just another mystery of Sync/GEMB days.  As I look over the cards in my portfolio, I find myself asking why I have the Walmart card. While I do shop at Walmart occasionally, I do not shop at Walmart that often, and when I do, I tend to never have the card with me. Then unlike say Bestbuy they can never look it up in-store so it often gets little charges. 

Back when Sync had it, they occasionally offered upgrades. Although never offered it to me obviously.  I have had the card since 2009, and while it is an oldie for me, it isn't my oldest still. It does have a credit line of $20k, so there is that. 

So I am wondering if anybody has had success since Capital One to convert/upgrade their store card?

I am just at the point without a mastercard logo on there, the card just doesn't have much use. As of today, I have about $800k in credit lines. So $20k is not going to break the bank at any level. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
collics
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart Store Card - Upgradable?

I recall reading several threads that they don't. Not only that but if you tried to app for the MC version while the store version is active, it would tell you that you already have a Walmart card. Not sure if that's still the case.

Someone on Reddit said they had to close the store version, then app for the MC version, but they did get the new cardholder benefits.

Also, I don't carry my walmart card at all. Add it to the Walmart app (in the wallet) and checkout in stores w/ Walmart Pay.

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 2 of 6
RootDet
Established Contributor

to me, it seems like bad business to not upgrade a card and make more profit on them. 

Message 3 of 6
CloudyWeather1331
Regular Contributor

I remember once getting a Pre-Qualified Offer by mail from Capital One to apply - not upgrade - for the MC version. 

-
Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Have never seen  an upgrade  yet. Not a fan of the Cap One Walmart venture.. at least I like Cap One alertsSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@RootDet wrote:

to me, it seems like bad business to not upgrade a card and make more profit on them. 

They don't need to. If they have an adequate customer base on both products, they still have decent revenue streams. Plus, there are customers who do not want the MC version in a variety of cases. But, as mentioned upthread, it is not upgradeable.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.