cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird talk with Discover regarding Cashback...

tag
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Weird talk with Discover regarding Cashback...

I noticed on my statement that the cashback amounts were off. It was like the system missed my Lowes purchase and wasn't including it when calculating my cashback amounts although it was on my statement for this month. I called and the CSR told me she found that odd too and manually adjusted my cashback bonus for 4% of the Lowes purchase amount (since it's the bonus category). I then realized that it should be 5%. I called back and the CSR told me that the previous CSR had done 4% assuming that the 1% was coming from the everyday purchases category. I said to him but the purchase wasn't counting at all in my cashback amounts so I would be missing another 1% in cashback. The guy then explained to me that if a purchase is made within two days of your statement date that although the purchase may show up on your statement Discover doesn't count it into the cashback amount for that month because it's still technically in authorization mode. To compenstate the system adds it to the next statement. So he guaranteed me that the cashback amount will show up in full on my next statement for my Lowes purchase on this statement. He also said that because the first CSR had already manually added on the adjustment that he can't remove I will get be getting a freebie bonus 4% on the purchase on top of the 5% that will appear on my next statement amount. So I wrote this down a sticky note and next month I will check my cashback amounts to make sure this is the case. It just all seems odd to me.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Weird talk with Discover regarding Cashback...

I must say, while a bit weird, I would think it to be true.  Discover usually does things right by the customer. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 2 of 4
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

I must say, while a bit weird, I would think it to be true.  Discover usually does things right by the customer. 

It makes perfect sense to me too. It seems weird how it works. But it sounds plausible and I trust Discover. If this had been Citi that this happened on and they were telling me this I wouldn't trust the information all that much. I have had Citi CSRs give me misinformation before and I can only assume Capital One, Chase, BoA are the same. I just figured I would post this for anecdotal evidence just in case someone else should run across a similar problem.

Message 3 of 4
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

It's just the way it's work.......the cash back bonus sometime need up to 8 weeks to adjust on your account. The only thing you would know that they going give you that bonus if you call in. That's y I loved Discover. They best CS so far.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.