cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the top five reasons people get turned down?

tag
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Re: Being turned down because I don't have a mortgage.

@Anonymous wrote:

There are times when I apply for avg. credit card. I was turned down because I don't have a mortgage. I own a house. Just don't have a mortgage. How can I tell the credit bueaus this? I have a personal installment loan.

Honestly the best thing you can do is, STOP applying for credit. give it at least 12 months .. 24 months would be ideal.

Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Being turned down because I don't have a mortgage.

Appraiser letter (unless it states the yearly property tax amount) is useless.

Message 12 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are the top five reasons people get turned down?

You're diluting the gene pool! No sereiously, at some point having too many cards are counterproductive to the end goal. What's the point in having 5 of each card if you're only amassing a few points/miles in each system? When you could be pooling them into fewer accounts so they add up quicker. it just makes more sense, unless a person has the income to sufficiently spread out to that many cards.

After all there are people here who have added 25 accounts in 15 months, so it's entirely possible for the right profile. Some people do not have the profile to support excess accounts though, and it seems you may have hit that plateau. Not knowing any DP's a person cannot really tell you one way or the other, other than cutting unneeded cards in favor of the ones you want. Some Banks see too many store cards and take a pass.

The only way to solve the INQ situation is to STOP apping, plain and simple. You freely admit that you have too any cards, so it's seems obvious that you're already aware of the problem. So I'm not sure what you were expecting to find here in terms of answers, perhaps insider tips around the issue? Which I don't think there are. 

In times like these gardening is the only solution, allowing time for HP's to fall off. As well as any new accounts to age at least 6 months, even better at 12 if you had a lot going on.

Message 13 of 35
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I get turned down because too many credit cards and inquiries.

Excellent advise from above. You have your answer. It's up to you.

Message 14 of 35
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I get turned down because too many credit cards and inquiries.

Excellent advise from above. You have your answer. It's up to you.

Yep. Let your cards age and your inquiries fall off. 

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

STOP APPLYING FOR ALL THESE INDIVIDUAL STORE CARDS!!!!!   That's should be your 1st step

Message 16 of 35
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My problem is that I have too many credit cards. I have 30 in all. gas Most are likes of Milestone, First Acess,etc. I have some department store and gas cards. I keep these for the age. I get turned down because too many credit cards and inquiries. Please help. Thank you.

Do you have anything besides gas and store cards?

Stretch goal: list out all the cards you actually have, as 30 is many?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have Care Credit which I'll for dental work. Car Care & Goodyear in case something happens to my car. I have Discover. I started this journey with an auto loan with $700.00 down. My credit was around 550 then. I went after store cards at that time was easy. I pay my cards on time everytime. I don't use auto pay. I just paid off my auto loan after 18 months. I have no collections, BK or charge offs. The last two cards I want to get is Lowes(new carpet) and AMAX. With Afterpay & Afirm you can get credit on SP.

Message 18 of 35
Gmood1
Super Contributor

What are the top five reasons I get turned down?

1) Too many new accounts

2) Too many new accounts

3) Too many new accounts

4) Too many new accounts

5) Too many new accounts

I hope that clears it up for you.Smiley LOL

That is the reason I'm denied 99.9% of the time. Number of inqs means nothing IME.

Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous As NRB525 said, please list all of your cards. We may be able to help you strategically trim the herd and point out redundancies or areas where one card could replace a few and boost/consolidate rewards if they're offered. And definitely don't app for anything else. Lowe's is a great card and one worth having, but don't try it now. Let's get the rest of your profile streamlined and improved and then look into the timetable for when to apply.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.