cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What counts as a department store for Discover?

tag
sakhalin070
Frequent Contributor

What counts as a department store for Discover?

So I'm sure Nordstrom's, Macy's and JCPenny's would qualify.  But what about Target or Wal-Mart?  Is there a list anywhere on which stores (according to Discover) are considered department stores for this quarter?

AMEX BCE, Discover IT, Citi Forward, BoA Travel Rewards, Barclaycard Cash Forward
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: What counts as a department store for Discover?

It is however the merchant chooses to classify itself. Most likely all of those count.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 12
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Most likely Wal Mart won't be count as a dept store... what if you shopped at Wal Mart.com, does that count as online store

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 12
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Here's your answer in the fine print:

"Department stores are defined as retailers selling a wide variety of merchandise, with separate checkout counters in each department."

and

"Purchases made at warehouse clubs, wholesale distributors, or discount stores are not eligible."

So Target and Walmart won't count. Also stores in the mall like Gap, etc. aren't department stores either.

Message 4 of 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

So Target and Walmart won't count. Also stores in the mall like Gap, etc. aren't department stores either.

Both Walmart and Target have check out counters in sperate departments. I would say they count, but I could be wrong. To me they are not clubs, distributors, nor discount stores.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 5 of 12
firesoul453
Contributor

If you have shopped at walmart before, look in the transatction and see what ti says. I don't have any charges from walmart so I cant check

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 6 of 12
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

@firesoul453 wrote:

If you have shopped at walmart before, look in the transatction and see what ti says. I don't have any charges from walmart so I cant check

I logged into my discover more account. My walmart purchase says: Merchant Category Description DISCOUNT STORES

Message 7 of 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

@firesoul453 wrote:

I logged into my discover more account. My walmart purchase says: Merchant Category Description DISCOUNT STORES

Bummer

To me they aren't a discount store. Instead, they just sell over priced junk.

Message 8 of 12
alboto
Regular Contributor

I just checked  transactions I had for 2 different wallys; one of them says discount store and the other one says Grocery store.

Message 9 of 12
firesoul453
Contributor

@alboto wrote:

I just checked  transactions I had for 2 different wallys; one of them says discount store and the other one says Grocery store.

One is probably a supercenters and the other one probably wasn't.

Either way I bet they won't work...

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.